Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire Regiment service number plus one more, date confirmation.

Tom Westhead

Good day all,

I have a Bedfordshire Regiment service number 24964 and looking at the service numbers blog online I think it could have been issued in 1917 would any one be able to confirm this ? And a long shot when in 1917.

This man was originally a Royal Fusilier numbered L/15048 which I know is pre WW1.

The second number down is 6449915 I think this is a post war service number, confirmation appreciated, Please. This service number is on the MIC and Corps is struck out so assume a late R FUS number ?? This service number is not on the medal rolls just the MIC.

Third down the Beds.R., is the last number on the MIC and on the Medal Roll of VM BWM is  1st.Garr.Bn.Bed.Rgt.24964.

The Beds.R., number is the main one I would like clarification on Please.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom.

It certainly looks like one.

You could look for his details in the MOD database:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/foi-responses-released-by-mod-week-commencing-1-december-2014

Scroll down the page to the attachments (Attachment 1 to 8).

These are Excel spreadsheets each containing around 50000 names.

You need to search each spreadsheet for the number.

It could confirm date of birth and previous regiments.

If his name appears (and in many instances even if it does not...) his service records will be held by the MOD in Glasgow.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, Tom Westhead said:

The second number down is 6449915 I think this is a post war service number, confirmation appreciated

Number block 6446001 to 6515000 was allocated to the Royal Fusiliers - courtesy of the LLT.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

Cheers,

Peter

• Admin
6 hours ago, Tom Westhead said:

I have a Bedfordshire Regiment service number 24964 and looking at the service numbers blog online I think it could have been issued in 1917 would any one be able to confirm this ? And a long shot when in 1917.

6 hours ago, Tom Westhead said:

The Beds.R., number is the main one I would like clarification on Please.

To which "service numbers blog online" are you referring?

The Bedfordshire Regiment medal roll for similar service numbers shows quite a few men transferring in from other Regiments including, like your man, from the Royal Fusiliers - see snip from one page of the relevant roll (courtesy Ancestry).

Examination of the few surviving service records of men with these Bedfordshire Regiment numbers indicates that they were allotted mid-February 1916.

Regards

Russ

Beds Reg.JPG

Hello Russ,

I looked over the site below regarding Bedfordshire Regiment service numbers and I read it as this particular regiment did not always follow through a numerical order sequence.

That was my reason for wanting to check 24964 Beds. R. and gain an approximate date as to when it could have possibly been issued, I have not been able to find his service records on Ancestry.

The RF service number 6449915 being post war I hope his records maybe with the MOD will make further enquiries in time.

Arthur Alfred Jones served in Gallipoli, a first lander on 25th April 1915 with 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers.

So at some stage then transfered int 1st Garrison Bn, Bedfordshire Regiment renumbered 24964. I am trying to work out a time period of when he may have transfered over to the Beds.R.

I know many of the soldiers out in Gallipoli were wounded and generally in bad shape.

I will search through the spreadsheets of service numbers when time permits.

Many Thanks to all of you and keep you posted.

Tom.

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Tom Westhead said:

So at some stage then transfered int 1st Garrison Bn, Bedfordshire Regiment renumbered 24964. I am trying to work out a time period of when he may have transfered over to the Beds.R.

And I gave you the answer in my post - it was mid February 1916

Regards

Russ

Sorry Russ,

I was a bit rushed earlier, mid February 1916 for the Bedfordshire Regiment, Roger that!!

I can now add that to his time line now.

I can assume that having survived Gallipoli that he was no longer fit for active front line service as he was placed with a Garrison Battalion.

I could not find anything to suggest he was a casualty in the campaign but he was maybe worse for wear as a result of his service there I know their losses and casualties were horrendous.

I have learned much and thank you all for your time it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Tom Westhead said:

I can assume that having survived Gallipoli that he was no longer fit for active front line service as he was placed with a Garrison Battalion

I think that is a valid assumption - downgraded medically for whatever reason and transferred to what looks like to be a newly raised Garrison Battalion for service in India (info on 1st Gn Bn Beds courtesy LLT):

He evidently regained sufficient fitness for being accepted either back or as a re-enlisted man in the Royal Fusiliers post war.

Regards

Russ

1st Gn Bn Beds.JPG

Cheers Russ,

Thanks for all the information, giving a clearer picture of his war service.

Many thanks all on this great forum.

Best regards.

Tom 😉