Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York & Lancaster Regiment - 2/Lt Newton

Chris_Baker

Long shot. Might save me a whole lot of trouble.

The National Archives catalogue includes a service record for an officer named as Edward Newton. WO374/50431.

Has anyone seen this record? Is it actually that of 2/Lt Horace Edward Newton? (The latter went onto an an Emergency Commission in WW2).

The NA catalogue does include the WO 374 reference for an officer's service record, but no records for Edward Newton (or E. Newton)

are listed in the WO 339 and AIR 76 collections.  There are two Edward Newton ORs (11827 RFC Pte) and (301389 RAF Cpl).

Horace Edward Newton is a possibility, but I could not locate any records confirming RFC/RAF service, but he was a 2nd Lieutenant

with the York and Lancaster Regiment (WO 372/14/212762; London Gazette 19 July 1915 29235/7065).  The Gazette states

that Horace Edward Newton was to be a 2nd Lt. with the 4th [Hallamshire] Battalion, The York and Lancaster Regiment, dated

7 July 1915. 

An additional possibility is Lt. Edwin Allen Newton (Camel Transport Corps Company Sjt Major, ASC 2nd Lt, & RAF Lt) who

served with the Seaplane Squadron, Alexandria, POW 11 October 1917).  An Air 76 record exists for him.

Josquin

Thank you, Josquin. I know who my man is: he was the chap commissioned into the 4th York & Lancaster. I've written up his story as far as it is possible to take it without seeing his service record. I hope to find whether the WO374 file is his record before I attempt to obtan it at the National Archives. It is not at all clear whether it is, partly as his name Horace is not described but also because the Ministry of Defence says it has retained  his record.

Horace Edward Newton was appointed a Lieutenant in the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Regular Army Reserve,

(Officer # 114861) to date from 19 August 1940 (London Gazette 13 September 1940, 34946/5526 and

13 May 1941, 35163/2785).

Josquin