Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reginald Carey Brenton Brading RNAS

MikeW

Can anyone help with a photograph of the elusive ace Reginald Carey Brenton Brading who not only saw service with No.12 Squadron RNAS, No 9 Squadron RNAS, No 1 Squadron RNAS, No 201 Squadron RAF, and No 47 Squadron RAF (in the British intervention in Russia) but also was a member of the 1921 RAF Aerobatic Team.

All I can find is an appalling newspaper photograph of the Aerobatic Team that is so bad it's almost impossible to recognise Christopher Draper let alone anyone else.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There's a photo of Brading and Draper in the latter's autobiography, The Mad Major. Not great - showing five pilots sitting on the grass at Hendon, it measures just 115 x 55mm. It looks as if Brading has fairish hair brushed back. The other pilots are W E G Mann, A Coningham (later an air marshal) and T F N Gerard.

(The Mad Major was a gift from my dad shortly after it was published in 1962; I've just started re-reading it. Inside my copy is a 1964 newspaper cutting describing Draper being "grounded" at the age of 72.)

Edited by Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker, so there is! It's the same  press photo that i already have - Brading obviously didn't like having his photo taken, he looks like he's trying to avoid this one.

If you are re-reading the Mad Major, there is a lot in there that Draper doesn't talk about, or just brushes over. Some things not mentioned for very obvious legal reasons at that time!

Cheers

Mike

This is what I'm fighting against - my photoediting skills are not brilliant but I've managed to get rid of the halftone printing dots - can't do anything about the horrendous contrast around his eyes and chin though, can't make a silk purse etc.

If anyone would like to have a go themselves, pm me with your email and I'll sent you the basic scan.

brading.jpg.81ceaa9ae6ec7474ef04b50399d1b469.jpg