The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Chadwick 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabineers)

IEmmott

Hi, I have over the last couple of years been researching my Great Great Uncle William Chadwick who was a Lance Corporal in the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabineers). 

William was in the British Expeditionary Force and sadly died of wounds received in battle on the 1st November 1914. 

I have been trying without success to find out roughly when he enlisted, I have a photograph of him in full dress uniform which was taken outside York Barracks, William is wearing the Red Tunic of the Regiment, I know the uniform changed in January 1914 from the all Blue Uniform, so the picture must have been taken between then and August when the Reigiment departed from France. 

His service number was 4942, on his soldiers effects it says he was, due a War Gratuity of £5, does any of this suggest how long he had been in the Army? 

• Admin

His service number was 4942, on his soldiers effects it says he was, due a War Gratuity of £5, does any of this suggest how long he had been in the Army? 

The war gratuity in this case doesn't as it only covers war time service.

For comparison #4948 was issued July 1902.

Craig

6 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

The war gratuity in this case doesn't as it only covers war time service.

For comparison #4948 was issued July 1902.

Craig

Would there be any chance his service record would have survived? 

Can we see the photo please?

The regiment was in Canterbury at the outbreak of war; not sure if they had been in York prior to that. I wasn't aware they changed the colour of their uniform in 1914, I must say. Given they'd been in blue since about 1860 I am slightly surprised. Not saying they didn't change, but do you have a reference for that? And the word is 'Carabiniers', not 'Carabineers'.

And I, too, would love to see the photograph.