The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

FCdr Cecil Douglas Morrison RNAS

MikeW

I am looking for a photo of Cecil Douglas Morrison, his RAeC ticket number is 1289, gained at Chingford on 31st May 1915 - sadly its one of the tickets where the photograph must have dropped off many years ago.

Morrison was a very ineffectual Flight Commander of No.9 Squadron RNAS from February to May 1917, but he was on the staff at Chingford from October 15 to February 16, and then on the staff of Cranwell for the rest of 1916. I'm thinking he must be in several of those formal "course" photographs so beloved of Cranwell.

Failing that tack, does anyone know what senior school he attended? 

Mike

Mike

The Cranwell course photos that you mention, are now held by the Cranwell Aviation Heritage Museum, 4 miles away.

Don't know if it is open right now, but maybe worth contacting.

Is your book on Naval 10 available- I want to add it to my Christmas present list

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

yes still available from Amazon! If all else fails I still have 1 spare copy. A lot has come to light since that was published - more photographic evidence that the stripy Camels persisted well into 210 Squadron RAF days, also more photographs of pilots - I feel a reissue coming on - No not really, Naval 9 is taking up all my time.

I have not had a lot of satisfaction with the Cranwell Museum but it's a good suggestion, I will try them again - if the museum is administered by the RAF it might be open in theory, though I believe Hendon isn't open at the moment.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

I visited the museum last year, hoping to find some more information on the group photos, that featured my grandfather, who was an air mechanic.

The museum had about half a dozen photos on display, with several more stored elsewhere. one of the staff , whose name I cannot remember, suggested

that if I made an appointment to visit again in the future, he would have them available for me to look at. Unfortunately , our movements have been

disrupted by the Coronavirus, and so I have not been able to do this.

Keep trying

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

I know that Museums in general have been disrupted this year, but the RAF Museum Reading Room staff are trying to answer emails from home - So I dropped an email to the Cranwell Aviation Heritage Museum on the off chance but it bounced saying something like "no such domain". The email is the one off the Museum's Website which is a bit puzzling.

Mike