Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are they the same?

Carcof

Hi all please can I ask the 3 lads sitting down we’re in the York’s and Lancs regiment. My ancestor Pte Samuel Smith died in the Somme battle aged 21. He was born in Sheffield Yorkshire and moved to Barnsley at time of death. The only photo we have is the 2 nd pic, he is first on left with rifle standing upright, do you think these are the same lads? 

BF08747E-C736-48CA-9F06-D47CBAF9C41A.png

B011BFA9-FE1E-4523-B25B-8CF244B8832D.png

The cap badges don't look like Y&L - more like Green Howards? The signaller in the middle doesn't have a cap badge, of course, which makes things a little harder.

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't think they are the same.

Picture 1 is WW1 but they look to me to be Alexrandra Princess of Wale's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)

Picture 2 troubles me. I could easily be wrong but I think it is post WW1. Sorry. Jus saying it how I see it and I am willing to be corrected by others.

Yours,

P

EDIT in light of Pat Atkins response: Green Howard's and APOWO (Yorkshire Regiment) are one and the same.

Edited by Polar Bear

I'm not sure, but the two sitting (on our) left and centre look like Yorkshire Regt (Green Howards, though not sure they were called that in WW1); the chap on our right could be Y&L. Ditto the man behind him. Realise I was a row out before, so whether the signaller has a cap badge is neither here nor there!

Cheers, Pat

I think all the lads in the first photo are Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards). The two on the far right are, I believe, wearing the pre-1908 pattern badges, probably due to a shortage of the then current type as worn by some of the others. It would also explain why some are wearing no cap badges at all.    Pete.

Good thinking, Pete, that would explain it.

• 4 weeks later...

The boys in the second picture are obviously much younger than those in the first- I know ****** all about uniforms but is that an earlier pattern- with the stripe down the baggy trouser leg and the forage caps?

Would that fit with them being cadets or yeomanry of some sort prior to joining up?

I've popped both photos into a photo editing programme and taken the early images out as layers and dropped them onto the later picture. With a little proportional (ie no squeezing or squashing) resize and adjustment for different angles I would have to say that the features of the earlier group do match very well the features of the second (allbeit a little older) group- that is the eyes, nose and mouths all line up .  They do not line up with other men in the image. Overlayed image is at 49% opacity.

On balance I think these are very possibly the same three people. 

greatwarforum.jpg