Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photos from India

Hi, I have recently dug up some old family photos and was wondering if anybody could help me with them

I know my great great grandad was in India during ww1 as part of the royal field artillery I’ve found his medal card and it says  his Regtl number is 199265 

and the record is dated for 19/61920 at woolwich. So don’t suppose anyone could give me an idea of what medals he would have got, what for and where he was based?

Also on a limb I don’t suppose anyone is good at translating old handwriting It’s a photo of my great grandfather with his “team” but I can’t pick the last line apart 

C0F38E64-68F6-4DD1-A09C-DAF655077A8F.jpeg

1868C7A0-231D-47DE-909E-BD50E5BFA7B1.jpeg

DF007C39-3D9C-4571-A10C-BD24A857996A.jpeg

I'll leave your primary question well alone, and let knowledgeable people answer that.

As regards the bottom line of the message "Won 26 mile [....] up hills" is what I read in it?

1 hour ago, Harry03 said:

I know my great great grandad was in India during ww1 as part of the royal field artillery I’ve found his medal card and it says  his Regtl number is 199265 

and the record is dated for 19/61920 at woolwich. So don’t suppose anyone could give me an idea of what medals he would have got, what for and where he was based?

Hi Harry and welcome to the forum.

I assume you mean George Thomas Chadney as that is the only 199265 that I can see serving with the Royal Field Artillery.

His Medal Index Card, (literally that, an index card filled out as the records office in early 1919 to keep track of medal documentation and related correspondence), shows him only receiving the British War Medal. That means he did not serve in a Theatre of War but did serve overseas -  in his case I think we can say as part of the standing British Army presense in India.

There don’t appear to be any surviving service records for him. You may not be aware, but the majority of British Other Ranks records were destroyed in WW2 when German bombs landed on the warehouse where they were being stored. What has survived is often fire, smut and \ or water damaged.

However while I don’t have a paid subscription to Ancestry I notice there is a Ministry of Pensions card for a George Thomas Chadney in their indexed Military records (free accounts let you see that much but don't give details :). These are usually just cards confirming or refusing a war disability pension or widows pension award or detailing either periods of awards or dependants, etc.Headers will usually included last unit, discharge date, nature of pension claim and the like. May not be your man but hopefully someone with Ancestry access will be along shortly to confirm.

Assuming he was born in England & Wales then the only likely birth I can see is that of a George Thomas Chadney that was registered with the Civil Authorities in the Aston District of Warwickshire in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1888. On the 1911 Census there is a 22 year old George Thomas Chadney, an unmarried Invoice Clerk, born Birmingham, who was recorded living with his parents at 43 Birchwood Crescent, Balsall Heath, Warwickshire. Not impossible but seems unlikely he was a pre-war soldier. That address was in the Kings Norton Civil Registration District for Births, Marriages and Deaths.

If he is the right man, then from past experience this part of the country is quite well covered for the Great War period by a selection of Newspaper titles at the on-line subscription site British Newspaper Archive, (BNA). Genealogy sites like Ancestry and FindMyPast also usually include access to the BNA as part of a premium subscription or bolt on.

I also see there is a marriage of a George T Chadney to a Helen Taylor recorded in the Kidderminster District in Q3 1913. A check of the birth registers for the next couple of decades in England & Wales only brings up three matches for children registered with the surname Chadney, mothers’ maiden name Taylor, and I suspect they are all children of George and Helen.

Q4 1914 Kings Norton District George E Chadney

Q4 1916 Kings Norton District Linda P Chadney

Q4 1921 Kidderminster District Desmond R Chadney

Their birth certificates will show fathers occupation, and if he was serving then rank and regiment\corps as a minimum and sometimes much more. If he was an early volunteer then I would suspect the certificate for George would reflect that. If he was a Derby Scheme man or a conscript then that might be captured by the certificate for Linda. Barring a collapse in health, once you were out in India you stayed out in India so safe to say he was in the UK until the opening months of 1916 at the very least.

As for the caption I was going for “Won 26 mile race ??? hills" .

Hope that gets you started and that there are not too many red herrings,

Peter

Have looked at his pension card on the fold3 website

199265 Gunner George Thomas CHADNEY

born 1888

discharged 20.8.19

address: Severn Side ?South, Bewdley, Worcs

married

disabilities:  Malaria     att.

11.8.20 interim award 8/- per week for man 4/8 wife & children  two children under 16.

6.9.20 20% disability no change to amount

14.9.21. 1-5% disability, awarded 10/6 per week for him for 35 weeks

payments/awards (with no detail) continue at least until the last note on the card which is on 4.4.24

https://www.fold3.com/image/644337597

Hi everyone, 

thank you all for the help sorry I haven’t replied sooner I’ve been flooded with work 😔 so what I can gather is that he is drafted in about  1916 then sent over to India where he stayed till 1918, this again does make sense as Linda was born in 1916. As for Linda’s birth certificate I do have it but there is no mention of the military on there at all 

thank you as well for pulling up his pension card. Love how malaria was counted as a disability !

thanks again 

I caveat this by saying am not a medical person, but depending on the type of malaria there could be several long term issues even if the patient is deemed recovered by the army & demobbed, rather than discharged unfit.

Among these are Anemia & Jaundice. But the one I have often seen alongside malaria on pension cards of WW1 soldiers is heart trouble, as Malaria can weaken muscles, including the heart.

On 03/12/2020 at 07:44, Harry03 said:

Love how malaria was counted as a disability !

Worth reading up on Harry03........pre-prophylactics Malaria was a most serious and debilitating disease with long lasting and disturbing side effects in many cases.