Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA 1st World War

Carcof

Hi I’m trying to locate any info or photos of my great grandfather Harry Lynn born in 1875 Merrow Surrey. He joined the Artillery in about 1894 from Aldershot he had a lot of service in India mostly. He was a driver and went to 1St World War from 1914-1916 where he was pensioned out due to injury. I believe he was in 80th Battery originally I’d love to locate a photo of him in his regiment. He worked as a groom before joining Artillery and was good with horses can anyone advice me kind thanks 

His records are in FIND MY PAST:

This is a transcription of his Service Record.
First name(s)    Harry
Last name    Lynn
Age    18
Birth year    1876
Birth town    Merrow
Birth county    Surrey
Birth country    England
Service number    RA/2273
Regiment    Royal Horse & Field Artillery
Unit / Battalion    No 3rd Depot, 113rd Battery
Year    1894
Residence town    Bradford
Residence county    Yorkshire
Residence country    England
Series    WO 363
Series description    Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive    
The National Archives
Record set    British Army Service Records
Category    Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory    First World War

Hi,

I appreciate you have a birth cert. Is it the original or a copy?

What was his wife called ? Edith Blanche Pollard? I can't find an 1875 birth cert. for a  Harry Lynn but there is one for 1878. Edith died 1940.

1939 register has him a a builder general manager.  1911, 33 yrs old, Builder's clerk and a draughtsman. Married for 9 yrs  Daughter Kathleen Beryl  Lynn.

If it's not the same family I would love to find your Harry.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi no definitely 1875 as I have birth certificate thanks though 

6 minutes ago, Kath said:

His records are in FIND MY PAST:

This is a transcription of his Service Record.
First name(s)    Harry
Last name    Lynn
Age    18
Birth year    1876
Birth town    Merrow
Birth county    Surrey
Birth country    England
Service number    RA/2273
Regiment    Royal Horse & Field Artillery
Unit / Battalion    No 3rd Depot, 113rd Battery
Year    1894
Residence town    Bradford
Residence county    Yorkshire
Residence country    England
Series    WO 363
Series description    Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive    
The National Archives
Record set    British Army Service Records
Category    Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory    First World War

Hi thanks for the info would it be possible if any photos of the regiment? 

54 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi,

I appreciate you have a birth cert. Is it the original or a copy?

What was his wife called ? Edith Blanche Pollard? I can't find an 1875 birth cert. for a  Harry Lynn but there is one for 1878. Edith died 1940.

1939 register has him as a builder general manager.  1911, 33 yrs old, Builder's clerk and a draughtsman. Married for 9 yrs  Daughter Kathleen Beryl  Lynn.

If it's not the same family I would love to find your Harry.

Regards Barry

Post out of sequence

1911 Harry Lynn with the 72nd Batt. RFA ,Bulford Camp, Salisbury. Married man..I presume this is your Harry?

MIC....Bombardier Harry Lynn 2273 was also a Corporal with the 25th Bde. RFA, same man?? Enlisted 25.1.1894 disc.28.1.16 NOTE..Ancestry has him as 2173.

Records herehttps://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/miuk1914a_085398-01178?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=5da819994ae1b1907bc2090847d2ad15&usePUB=true&_phsrc=iyp8370&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.175383714.1289129151.1606676886-375430043.1602265084&pId=299950

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Barry

Harry was married in 1901 in India to Florence Irons and they came back to England about 1909, and were Bulford and Amesbury. He went to 1st World War I’m trying to locate a photo of him as we don’t have any of him . He later split up from Florence and ended up in Birmingham 

Yes thanks that’s him I was trying to see if his regiment would have had any photos ? I’m sure there must be something about the artillery with pictures etc 

Hi

Found him now, posts seem to be going out of order, Ancestry records as above. Searching for a pic....

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

I see he was 113th Battery from 1912-16. Most batteries will have had a photo taken before going to France in August 1914, but I have seen very few of these, although there may be some copies in the RA photo collections. Battery photos from prewar India occasionally turn up.. These are, however,  unlikely to be 'named', to identify individual soldiers, if you dont know what he looked like.  If you found a 1914 113th Bty photo he may be easier to spot  as he would likely be wearing a LSGC medal awarded in 1912..