Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great Sacrifice

Gunner 87

This memorial card I collected some years back is of 'The Great Sacrifice', also known as 'Duty', painted for the Christmas number of 'The Graphic' by James Clark in 1914. The original was given to the War Relief Exhibition in aid of the Red Cross at the Royal Academy in 1915 and bought by King George V. The Queen then gave it to Princess Beatrice, youngest child of Queen Victoria, who donated it to St Mildred's Church, Wippingham, on the Isle of Wight, in remembrance of her son, Prince Maurice of Battenburg, killed at Ypres. The painting now hangs in the Battenburg Chapel. Copies such as these were found in churches, hospitals and other public buildings. A stained glass window of the image also hangs in St Mary Magdalene in Enfield, North London.

The Great Sacrifice.png

Edited by Gunner 87

• Gunner 87 changed the title to The Great Sacrifice

Hello,

a frame found in France in memory of the two brothers, Henry Edward and Philip James Basset killed in action at Gommecourt, July 1st 1916.         Gerald

680077687_img169(2).jpg.696679ba8f6966dafdf2c7e328ddbfb7.jpg

1 hour ago, MURAT said:

Hello,

a frame found in France in memory of the two brothers, Henry Edward and Philip James Basset killed in action at Gommecourt, July 1st 1916.         Gerald

680077687_img169(2).jpg.696679ba8f6966dafdf2c7e328ddbfb7.jpg

thank you Gerald. I've only ever seen one other and that was on ebay recently... where did you find them?

Edited by Gunner 87

A friend found them but i don't know where exactly. In fact he found two frames ,this one ,in english and  another one, in french with two others  religious french cards .The  Bassett 's sister was married with a french man and lived in Paris if I remember.

Regards 

Gérald

33 minutes ago, MURAT said:

A friend found them but i don't know where exactly. In fact he found two frames ,this one ,in english and  another one, in french with two others  religious french cards .The  Bassett 's sister was married with a french man and lived in Paris if I remember.

Regards 

Gérald

Thanks Gerald, that's interesting. I shall keep mine safe as they appear quite rare.

• 1 year later...

Hello Murat,

Thank you very much for posting. I am interested in the Bassett brothers.  Would it be possible for you to contact your friend and obtain any additional information about the frames?  Where he found them? Any further anecdotes about their discovery would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I don't know where the frames were found and I no longer have contact with the seller. But I think he must have found them either in the Somme or in the Pas de Calais. There are actually two frames, one with cards written in English and a second with cards written with the same text in French.