Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

65 CCS and 1/3 Wessex FA, Palestine 1917

clive_hughes

The casualty form of a soldier attached to 158th Brigade HQ in Palestine 1917 states that he was admitted to "Combined Field Ambulance" on 18.11.17, then to 65th CCS on 20.11.17, where he died of illness next day.  Buried at Beersheba.  The Effects Register however states he died at 1/3rd Wessex Field Ambulance.

The LLT has no information on these Middle-Eastern units.  Can I assume that the Combined and Wessex FAs were one and the same?  Also what were the locations of the FA and CCS at this time please?

Clive 

Can't help directly but the answer may well be in 'Medical History'

Links to the 4 volumes are here.

Not sure which one covers Palestine. You can search the online version or download a pdf.

It is quite possible that 1/3 WFA were manning 65 CCS.

TEW

Excellent link TEW!

That's answered where 65 CCS was at the relevant period (Imara).  No sign of 1/3rd Wessex FA anywhere in the Egypt/Palestine volume, but I see that the 3rd Wessex FA TF was moved Oct. 1914 to the 8th Division, where it became 26th FA, so I'm inclining to a clerical error when it comes to them!

Thanks

Good news and glad it helped. Checking the FA possibilities via Discovery it may have been 1/3 Welsh FA. Don't know if the Medical History could substantiate that?

TEW

On 29/11/2020 at 12:00, TEW said:

Can't help directly but the answer may well be in 'Medical History'

Links to the 4 volumes are here.

Not sure which one covers Palestine. You can search the online version or download a pdf.

Allenby's Military Medicne is also particularly useful for this theatre 

see:- http://ndl.ethernet.edu.et/bitstream/123456789/78132/1/24.pdf

for Imara see p.63>

TEW,

Indeed, could very easily have been an error for 1/3rd Welsh FA, they served the 53rd Division of which he was a member.  The clerk who wrote out the Effects entry also managed to change his year of death from 1917 to 1918, so maybe he wasn't having a good day...

Michaeldr,

What an interesting book - I'm obliged to you for that reference.  

Clive

I feel sorry for these clerks sometimes. I imagine a young junior officer having a piled high inbox and having to copy dates across all day.

TEW