Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edmund Henstock

Kevin Mears

Good evening all.

I am doing some research in connection with L/Cpl Edmund Henstock who was killed serving with 2/5 South Staffordshires on the 26th April 1917. Is there any way of finding out when he enlisted?. I know that from September 1916 he was with the 4th Battalion South Staffordshires as we have letters from Edmund confirming that he was with them until the end of March 17 when he went to France. Muddying the waters in all this is the fact that we have photos of him wearing a Sherwood Foresters cap badge and South Staffs one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

Further to this, is there any truth to the story I was told that all stretcher bearers were appointed L/Cpl?

Regards,

Kevin Mears

Are you positive that the Sherwood Forester is him, not one of his brothers or close relative?

There are 9 with medal cards on Ancestry.

17 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Are you positive that the Sherwood Forester is him, not one of his brothers or close relative?

His brother Samuel HENSTOCK was 1/6th Sherwood foresters, Notts & Derby Regt.  - DoW 3 June 1915

For comparison - A newspaper photo of Samuel is found on Matlock & Matlock Bath : The War Memorials  https://www.andrewsgen.com/matlock/warmem/warmem_matlock_a-j.htm#h7

Edmund's entry is alphabetically above Samuel's

:-) M

ThHis brother died with the Sherwood Foresters in 1915. A year before Edmund joined or was conscripted.  We are certain the photos are both of Edmund.

Regards

Kevin

Sorry I dont have access to them at the moment but the ten year age gap is evident and so are the differences in build, physiognomy and facial hair. The photos I have seen with different cap badges are positively Edmund.

My conclusions are that Edmund went straight to the 4th South Staffs. As to the cap badge? I don't have an answer but I believe there were other brothers that served.

At least the archive of letters gives solid information on his whereabouts from September 1916 until his death.  Correspondence from the Army to his wife shows a different date of death and a delay in confirming his death of over a month. Her last letter to him, three weeks after his death, is heartbreaking. 

Regards

Kevin Mears 

41 minutes ago, Kevin Mears said:

Sorry I dont have access to them at the moment but the ten year age gap is evident and so are the differences in build, physiognomy and facial hair. The photos I have seen with different cap badges are positively Edmund.

My conclusions are that Edmund went straight to the 4th South Staffs. As to the cap badge? I don't have an answer but I believe there were other brothers that served.

At least the archive of letters gives solid information on his whereabouts from September 1916 until his death.  Correspondence from the Army to his wife shows a different date of death and a delay in confirming his death of over a month. Her last letter to him, three weeks after his death, is heartbreaking. 

Regards

Kevin Mears 

It’s quite possible that he initially joined the Sherwood Foresters in Britain, it was quite common (although not universal) to follow the route of brothers going before.  However, men were quite routinely moved to other regiments in drafts to make them up-to-strength to embark for France.  Those who joined after 1916 generally had no choice where they went and and movement was invariably premised upon “the interests of the service”.  He might also have arrived at an infantry based depot (IBD) in France wearing a Sherwood Foresters cap badge but then sent in a draft of reinforcements to a South Staffs battalion in sore need.  Such occurrences were normal.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for that. I believe he was conscripted shortly after the conscription law was amended to include married men. After 25th May 1916. A letter, and all subsequent letters, from him state 4th Battalion South Staffs and the letters start in September 1916. The only change coming when sent to France at the end of March 1917 with a draft to 2/5 South Staffs.

Regards

Kevin Mears