Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering wording on medal card

lclark77

Just now, Matlock1418 said:

Discharge to Class Z was to Reserve, wasn't it? - presumably fit enough??

Would a claim be accepted for someone in Z Reserve? - you seem to suggest it perhaps would [??]

Or, did Z mean something else for pensions?

Class Z men were examined and given the chance to claim a pension on discharge to the reserve - they were regarded as men fit to serve again but not all were medically A1 (couldn't be too fussy).

Had this claim perhaps come in later after Class Z Reserve was abolished in 1920?

The numbers were only issued in the relatively short period that Class Z discharges were happening.

Do you think this claim might have been completely cancelled?

Or just a matter of re-referencing as the 1784 would seem to perhaps suggest?

I suspect it was just this ledger that was being cancelled and the ongoing claim was elsewhere - I suspect from the records that those dealt with at HQ only were destroyed and do not survive. Any HQ references we do see are on cards that had been made in the regional and reference transfers to/from the HQ.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

:-) M

Thank you all so much for your help so far. 

I'm hoping that once the Seaforth and Gordons museums have got back to us we might be able to shed a little more light on his service history. Certainly if Fort George can confirm they have his medals at least we know at some point he may have had them and although as a family we won't have them it will be nice to know they are there.

Its such a shame that the family don't seem to know much of what he went through in the war. He died in 1951 when my grandmother was 21 and before my mother was born and I don't think anyone really asked him much - and of course he may have been reluctant to discuss it. In fact when I found his pension record it was the first time any of us were aware that he even served with the Gordons so I suspect it wasn't discussed very much at all.

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Class Z men were examined and given the chance to claim a pension on discharge to the reserve - they were regarded as men fit to serve again but not all were medically A1 (couldn't be too fussy).

I know he was shot in the left hand (along with being gassed) so wonder if this was the reason he may not have been A1 fit? 

3 hours ago, lclark77 said:

I know he was shot in the left hand (along with being gassed) so wonder if this was the reason he may not have been A1 fit? 

Possibly although the Class Z reserve took a range of men - some were A1 and some where not. The main point was that they were fit enough to serve again in some capacity should they be needed again.

Craig