Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Field Ambulance - only Anzac unit from Landing to Evacuation?

grantmal

Was the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance the only unit to serve at Anzac every day between the dawn landing and final evacuation?

Not sure where I read that 'fact,' but if anyone can confirm it, or offer other relevant info, much appreciated. 

Fifteen stretcher bearers of the 108 who landed on North Beach went through to evacuation without leaving the Peninsula. I have a group photo of them, in their ragged glory, taken soon after evacuation. Were they the only men who went from go to whoa at Anzac? 

Mate,

Most certain as the 3rd Bde was the first to land on Anzac, and its Field Amb was there at the landing.

So they have a strong case, as the other FA landed during the day, so you could claim they were there longer, if not by hours then the 1st FA and 2nd FA?

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Thanks, Steve. 

Yes, they certainly beat the slackers of the 1st & 2nd Field Ambulances ashore, but I mean of all the ANZAC units was the 3rd FAmb the only one not to spend time at Sarpi rest camp, Lemnos, during the campaign? 

Even if it was, this reference (just been trawling the old newspapers online) to the 4th Brigade leaving for their spell on Lemnos in Sept which details how the 16th Bn left Lt Black and 12 machine gunners, as well as one officer and 40 of the fittest men, behind at Anzac obviously means that other men besides the 15 3rd FAmb stretcher bearers might have been on the Peninsula from landing to evacuation.

I suppose the war diaries can at least tell me if any other units remained at Anzac for the duration...but I was hoping not to have to do down that particular route....

Mate,

Will need to check but I've looked at the Light Horse and the 2nd LH Bde units. The attached 4 LHR was the only one sent for a short rest before joining the Bde permanitly.

But our war diaries are there to check.

Cheers

S.B

It would appear that your assertion that the 3rd Field Ambulance would be entitled to claim the continuous service at Anzac from the landing up until close to the 20th December would be justified on the grounds that it was the only unit of the 3rd Brigade still on Gallipoli after the 25th November.

Of the units of the 3rd Brigade no infantry battalions would serve at Gallipoli after the 25th November, 9th & 11th Bn’s embarked for Mudros on the 16th November, 10th Bn on the 21st, and the 12th Bn on the 25th November. I not checked to see if any of the battalions spent any time at the  Serpi Rest camp on Lemnos, but since none remained on Gallipoli after the 25th Nov it would not matter.

The 2nd Brigades units were there until the last days of the evacuation, 5th & 6th Bn’s embarking on the 11th December, 8th Bn on the 19th, and the 7th the last to leave on the 20th., but they landed at Anzac after the 3rd FA and may have spent some time away from Gallipoli during that time.

Both the 1st & 2nd Field Ambulances embarked to Mudros on the 9th September.

I have found it difficult to establish on which date the last 50 men of the 3rd FA embarked from Gallipoli; 100 men embarked on the 14th December leaving 10 NCO’s & 40 OR’s at Dawkin’s Point, but I should imagine you would have more details of the different dates. 

I have checked Volume II of the Official History, but Bean does not appear to give a definitive answer to the answer of your question.

The only means of checking for an answer will be to go through all the war diaries and unit histories as Steve has suggested.

Jeff

Thanks for that extra info, Jeff. Trawling the war diaries has been added to the 'to do' list.

The 3rd FAmb personnel 'detailed for duty at Anzac' when the unit embarked on 14 December rejoined at Mudros on the 18th December.

In a letter dated 27 December one of them wrote: 

"I was one of the last in the evacuation of Gallipoli. Being the latest to arrive here, and being fresh, we were selected in case of an emergency. One night, just as we were going to bed, 50 of us were told to leave everything behind except one blanket, and to be prepared for action. The OC gave us cheer-up lecture, in which he stated that in all probability we would have to remain behind with any wounded, and trust to the tender mercies of Johnny Turk, who, he had heard, had proved a fair fighter, and he thought would treat us right; and that, although he would not keep us prisoners, would most likely return us afterwards by the longest possible route. Anyhow, everything passed off all right. There were no wounded, and none of us left behind. We got off quietly as lambs, and with all our kits, and as much more as we could carry. It was a wonderful piece of work, and although the suspense of not knowing what would happen was great, it was well worth waiting."

Just to confuse things, another 3FAmb man 'left behind' at Anzac had a different story on the dates, writing on 2 January 1916:

".....I went to Gallipoli on December 9 and had 12 days there, and I can assure you it was a great sight to see the hills that our boys climbed over to get a landing. It was pretty tough work there, as the country was so hilly. I was only there just long enough to have a look around, but some of the shots came very close. It seemed a bit strange when we first landed, but after the first day we got used to it. I also had a look at the trenches, they were marvellous: in fact, they were like small villages, but all the boys there seemed to be happy enough...."

Good on you,

Grant

2nd Brigade infantry rest periods on Lemnos:

5Bn: 9 Sept - 16 Nov

6Bn: 9 Sept - 14 Nov

7Bn: 13 Sept - 26 Nov

8Bn: 10 Sept - 22 Nov

1st Field Co Engineers rest at Lemnos:

1st half company 17 Sept - 7 Nov

2nd half company 11 Nov - 

2 FCE: - 17 Sept - 8 Nov

3 FCE: 10 Nov - 

• 8 months later...

William Gunn, No.9, 3rd Australian Field Ambulance (A Section) wrote to a friend in Australia about his unit's continuous stint at Anzac.  His letter was dated 17 October 1915, and he states there were ten others from his unit still left.  One would assume that these men were also continuously at Anzac since the landing.  

William was KIA on 24 November 1915 (source: NAA record).

Queensland Times (Ipswich, Qld), Friday 24 December 1915, page 4

LETTER FROM SERGT. W. GUNN.

The following letter was received by Mr. T. J. Baker from Sergt. W. Gunn, of the 3rd Field Ambulance, under date of Gallipoli, October 17:—Dear Friend,—It pleased me very much to ready your most interesting letter. Glad to hear that the "holy city" is still in the same old spot; Our brigade holds the records, as regards his war, for having been the longest time in the trenches—25 weeks today since the landing. "Not too bad," for "Cook's Tourists," eh? Our brigade consists of 9th (Queenslanders), 10th, 11th and 12th battalions, 3rd Field Company Engineers, and 3rd Field Ambulance. Of 'course, the large majority of the original force are either away sick or wounded, but there are still a few of the old hands left, "sticking it out," as it were. Of my own unit—of which, as you know, A Section belongs to Queensland—there are only 10 of the original landing party left. We have had about 23 wounded—the remainder being away sick—out of a total of 80. We have had some reinforcements posted to us. We have had some hard work since we have been here, the landing being particularly so—practically no rest for the first three days, going all the time. I assure you our chaps deserved credit for what work they have done. We were just as much exposed to Maxim and rifle fire, also "Billy Shrapnel," as the remainder. It was amusing at times to watch them dodging across an ex-posed area to get at some poor wounded chap, one at a time. There was one particular spot four of us got into, to try to get an officer out. We got in at [illegible] would have been sudden death to attempt to get back again, so we had to wait there two solid hours before we got a chance. As it was, we were lucky, as only one of our chaps got hit in the leg. So when the Turks eased off a bit, l pick-a-backed him across at the double. I have had a few narrow shaves here, but of course it is all in the "game." You have got to take what comes your way, but of course you never know your luck, as there are always a few getting "pinked" every day. Your letter was just a day late for Lieut. Hall, who had been here, but have just left a day previous for Alexandria, to take charge of our transport at Mex Camp. The "Queensland Times" is always a welcome friend to me. I always have a good hour when it arrives. I did see Major R. Macdonald when he arrived in Eg.pt, but not since then. He is in charge of some hospital there. As regards Capt. Foxton, I have not met him, but if I do chance across him I will he sure to remember you to him. Well, old friend, you will please excuse the pencil scribble, as I ink is at a premium here. It is set aside for "ossifers." Your son Bert is still in Egypt with the horses, and he was in "good nick" the last I heard of him. I must now close, hoping to see you on the wharf "when the boys come sailing home."

On 27/11/2020 at 23:44, Jeff Pickerd said:

I have found it difficult to establish on which date the last 50 men of the 3rd FA embarked from Gallipoli; 100 men embarked on the 14th December leaving 10 NCO’s & 40 OR’s at Dawkin’s Point, but I should imagine you would have more details of the different dates. 

Charles Augustus Littler's personal diary also does not yield any direct references to the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance.  My beloved 26th AI Bn is mentioned though [12 Dec 1915].

Advocate (Burnie, Tas), Thursday 8 May 1930, page 6

Gallipoli.

Last Man to Leave.

EXTRACTS FROM AN OFFICER'S DIARY.

Captain C. A. Littler, D.S.O., who enlisted at Devonport, was the last man of the Allied forces to leave Gallipoli on the occasion of the memorable evacuation of that territory. This gallant officer was later killed in action in France. Others have claimed to have been the last to leave the historic battleground, but Captain Bean, the war historian, accords that distinction to Capt. Littler, who held the position of Commandant of North Beach Depot, and a diary which he kept, and which has been shown to an "Advocate" representative by his son (Mr. G. A. Littler) of Devonport, bears out the statement.

The Evacuation.

Capt. Littler held a highly responsible position as officer in charge of the transport of stores from the beach to the various encampments. The following are extracts from his diary:

"Friday, 10/12/15. Work started as usual. All stopped except drains and waterworks, with A.C. orders to assist evacuation of ammunition. Water stocks to be kept up. Filled 3000 gallons into canvas tanks at North Beach." Other particulars of the day's work are given, and the entries conclude with the words "some shelling."

Entries in the diary on the following day include the following: "Guns, ammunition and some personnel evacuated. Kicking water stock up to 100,000 gallons. Filled all divisional canvas tanks. Stationary hospitals sending off gear. Mules started to be shipped, also more guns and some troops at night. Smooth sea, some shelling."

The Weakly and Sick.

"Sunday, 12/12/15. Embarkation proceeding. Field ambulance clearing stationary hospital. All weakly and sick away, also 26th, 27th and 28th Battalion mules, guns and ammunition.

"Monday, 13/12/15. Medical and other stores, including ammunition, being shipped. Weather taken a rough turn. Three thousand New Zealanders leaving tonight. Gurkhas off. Considerable shelling.

"Tuesday, 14/12/15. Evacuating material and labor personnel.

"Friday, 17,12/15. Sent away all of Beach party, excepting eight men, to Mudros. With Lieut. Warren, loaded last barge with general material. Evacuation of Hospitals.

"Saturday, 18/12/15. Last fill up of water from naval boat. Arranged plans for evacuation of hospitals. Sent off last of beach party at 6 p.m., having filled up all water tanks. Turned over 14,000 gallons to hospitals. Not much shelling. Shipped 10,000 men away between 6 p.m. and 1 a.m. Visit From General Birdwood.

"Sunday, 19/12/15. Very quiet all day. General Birdwood came ashore 10.30 a.m. Had talk with him, and was thanked for services during occupation, particularly in the first landing. During day sent several lots of staff away. Destroyed pumping station. Sent off 13th British Casualty Clearing Hospital at 2 a.m. on 20th. Put aboard special cargo, half of first Australian Clearing Hospital, and followed up by last 2000 troops. At 3 a.m. put aboard lot of Clearing Hospital, less one M.O. and six men to take chance with last 68 of force."

On 01/12/2020 at 16:00, grantmal said:

The 3rd FAmb personnel 'detailed for duty at Anzac' when the unit embarked on 14 December rejoined at Mudros on the 18th December.

I found the following newspaper article / letter in Trove.  It was written by No. 242, Private Alfred Ernest Weymouth, C Section, 3rd Australian Field Ambulance, 3rd Australian Infantry Brigade.  It was a lengthy effort by the man, so I have only copied the relevant section.

Mercury (Hobart, Tas), Saturday 1 April 1916, page 9

LETTERS FROM SOLDIERS, THE LAST DAYS ON GALLIPOLI. PRIVATE WEYMOUTH'S FINE ACCOUNT.

Private Weymouth, 3rd Field Ambulance, A.A.M.C., writing under date January 27, says:

"Three days previous to the last man getting off a few of our men were detailed to wait till the last, and the remainder of us were told to be ready to move at a final notice of 10 minutes. At 11 o'clock that night we got the notice and marched to the place of embarkation by a round about way, so that the Turkish airmen might not discern the move."

If one assumes that "the last man getting off" was Charles Augustus Littler on 20th December 1915, that would put the date of Alfred's embarkation on 16th/17th December.  Several men from his unit were detailed to "wait till the last," so one can assume that these few were asked to remain with Littler.  Littler, a Tasmanian, probably had a soft spot for C Section of the 3rd AFA, (also from Tasmania?), and presumably asked a few of them he may have know personally to stay with him: "less one M.O. and six men to take chance with last 68 of force."