Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th (Service) Btn Border Regt. movements in the UK - James Edward Procter

Alan24

Came across this postcard dated 30 April 1915 which appears to show that the 8th Border Regt camped at Winchester from this date, which has not been picked up on Long Long Trail.

8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Carlisle in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 75th Brigade in 25th Division. Moved to Codford and into billets in Boscombe in November 1914. Moved to Romsey in May 1915 and on to Aldershot following month.
Landed at Boulogne 27 September 1915.

Winchester (Post Mark 30 April 1915 9.30pm)

Arrived here midday. We are under canvas. Camp nicely situated about 2 miles from town. You have the address will write later. Jim.

Mrs Procter

14 Highfield Villas

Kendal

Westmoreland

Jim is James Edward Procter, Mrs Procter is his widowed mother. Searching the address shows that it was Jim who completed the 1911 census for that address – nice to match the hand writing.

The camp is Morn Hill  Flowerdown which matches the distance of 2 miles described.  

James Edward Proctor* died of wounds at the Somme on 3rd July 1916 as Private 14890 serving with the 8th Service Battalion. His date of entry to theatre of 26 Sept 1915 matches the date on which the 8th Battalion arrived in France – this is my basis for saying he was with the 8th when writing this postcard.

CWGC

Jim is remembered as J E Procter on the Kendal War Memorial.

*sometimes spelt Proctor.

pc a.JPG

Edited by Alan24

I don't have much to add but you have The Long Long Trail having them arriving in Romsey in May '15. That's but 11 miles from Winchester and the postcard is postmarked 30th April. So while I accept their's a very slight discrepancy it doesn't seem to be much.

P

30 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I don't have much to add but you have The Long Long Trail having them arriving in Romsey in May '15. That's but 11 miles from Winchester and the postcard is postmarked 30th April. So while I accept their's a very slight discrepancy it doesn't seem to be much.

P

It's  not a criticism of LLT and not really a discrepancy either, moreover adding a bit more detail which may or may not already been known. 

I think Winchester and Romsey are distant enough to highlight this finding.

I have no doubt they moved on to Romsey in May, not staying at Winchester more than a few weeks at best.

"you know the address" suggests to me that they knew beforehand where they were going and expected to stay for more than overnight.

Being from Winchester, I'm always interested to find out which units passed through and collect postcards written home by soldiers whilst at Winchester and always pleased when I can ID them.

Edited by Alan24

I have now obtained another PC written at Winchester by a member of 8th Border Regt. from Kendal.

Written by 14799 Pte. Ernest Wilkinson

This is postmarked Flowerdown Camp and dated 14 May 1915. 

This confirms that the camp referred to in the PC in post #1 must be Flowerdown and not Morn Hill, Flowerdown also being 2 miles out of town.

fde.JPG