Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandads war

Stevebh

Hi I have posted before looking into my grandads history and had amazing help.

I am looking to find info on the 6 th kings regiment, possibly riles. I don’t know if the Kings Royals are the same. He apparently signed up with them before transferring to Monmouthshire regiment. He lived in Birkenhead so an unusual end point? I have had his Monmouthshire reg number and he went into labour corps but have drawn a blank on how he ended up.

I have tried to contact Monmouthshire museum without success yet because I obviously want to know where he may have been posted, would really like to visit areas at some point in future.

any help appreciated.

There are others more expert than I who will arrive shortly, but you are I think looking at two separate regiments.

The King's Regiment (Liverpool) had a 6th Territorial Force Battalion in WW1, which had previously been their 5th Lancashire Bn (The Liverpool Rifle Volunteer Brigade) Rifle Volunteer Corps & also their 2nd  Volunteer Btn.

The King's never had the royal prefix, but there was the King's Royal Rifle Corps, who had their Regimental Depot at Winchester, & as far as I can see no specific connection to Liverpool.

• Admin

Link to a previous post, assume that you are asking about the same man? 

Hi yes I am still looking at his story and given myriad of options it’s keeping me busy. Lockdown has been a pain though.

Hi Traverse, thanks for info. Am I presuming this would be the only battalion I would need to research then or are there others I would have to review. Is there anywhere in Liverpool where records or history archived, museum perhaps?

You were given a lot of information then that you seem promptly to have forgotten.  As pointed out in that earlier thread the cap badge he’s wearing in the photo is that of the Welsh Regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi thank you for responding. I hadn’t forgotten I am just trying to get to bottom of newspaper report of his supposed enlistment with Kings rifles , and then to Welsh and Monmouthshire regiment hopefully. It was obviously a time of significant rapid changes hence the difficulties tracking movements.

I was hoping to try and get to beginning wherever that is as apart from evidence already known cannot seem to get any further backwards.

2 hours ago, Stevebh said:

Hi thank you for responding. I hadn’t forgotten I am just trying to get to bottom of newspaper report of his supposed enlistment with Kings rifles , and then to Welsh and Monmouthshire regiment hopefully. It was obviously a time of significant rapid changes hence the difficulties tracking movements.

I was hoping to try and get to beginning wherever that is as apart from evidence already known cannot seem to get any further backwards.

You didn’t “post everything tomorrow” (all his details, together) as you’d said you would and so none of the genealogy detectives here picked up on it.  If you do perhaps people like @PRC and @The Inspectorand @clkmight be able to help.

For all those mentioned, his name is Richard Humphreys, he lived in Tranmere, Birkenhead, and was born on 23/3/1896.  

No one previously discovered a MIC or roll entry and yet this man clearly served overseas, and wore several cap badges.  My guess is that he only wore a King’s Liverpool Regiment badge (allegedly Rifles battalion) at Home. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

Have you looked at Pte.227705  Richard Humphreys, Monmouth Regt. and then 617784 Labour Corps. 1939 a licensee, died 1952.

Just so we don't have to go searching for his pic..belowIMG_0047.HEIC

Regards Barry

That is him Barry, if you look at Michelle’s post above you’ll see where she’s drawn the two threads together.  This is a typical example of where the OP abandoned his original thread and then revisiting later has started a new one on the same subject.  Apparently the intent this time is to discover initial service allegedly with the King’s Liverpool Regt.

Hi yes that is my grandad. I had previously posted his details on my former thread but I could work out how to re access so forgive me for the second one, I don’t think it is a point of ridicule though.

16 hours ago, Stevebh said:

Hi yes that is my grandad. I had previously posted his details on my former thread but I could work out how to re access so forgive me for the second one, I don’t think it is a point of ridicule though.

No ridicule is or was intended.  I was merely explaining the background to Barry so that he could quickly understand what had occurred.

Edited by FROGSMILE

hi really sorry to have responded in that manner, no excuse. I have really appreciated all the assistance you and others have given and would not had anything without your help. 
I thought I had posted what details I did have about my grandad on my previous posting.

He was called Richard, had a brother John and uncle Hugh, who all served in different regiments. He lived in the Bentinck pub in Birkenhead and became licensee post discharge.