The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Memorial Scroll

adrian 1008

A slightly different enquiry !

I have, what I think is a memorial scroll to Pioneer Willy Heinatz, who died (I think) on 22nd April 1918

I also have the original posting tube with an address, but its beyond my abilities to decipher its wording

Where can I go to discover the life of Willy Heinatz

German Memorial scroll.JPG

this is the address Tube1083576203_Scrolltubeaddress1.JPG.9c6179ebf44c79c152783f837da10353.JPG

Hello Adrian 1008

Engineer private Willy Heinatz died on April 22, 2018 indeed.

The posting tube had been addressed to:

Witwe (widow) Karoline Heinatz geb. (born) Riedel

in Neukölln, ... ?...

zu behändigen an Polizei-Verwaltung (to be handed to police administration)

Wohnort (place of residence) Neu-Kölln

Nowadays Neukölln or Neu-Kölln is a southern district of the City of Berlin.

Regards

Henry/Heinrich

Thank you, that's really helpful

Can you interpret the wording on the scroll for me.......... I can make out something for love and Brothers

His widow Karoline born Reidel......... thats her maiden name 

The police would have delivered this scroll to her..... presumably she would have been informed by telegram of his loss before this arrived

The headline refers to The Bible, 1 John 3:16:

"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers."

The footlines say:

In memory of the engineer (private) Willy Heinatz,

mortar company 453

He died for his fatherland

on April 22nd, 1918.

Info about mortar company (Minenwerfer Kompanie) 453:

being founded in Jan. 2017; became part of XI Minenwerfer Battaillon on June 29th, 1918.

At the begin of the Great war, the German mortars were seen as "devices" of the engineer (sapper) troups, not as artillery. Unter the high command of General v. Falkenhayn, the heavy trench mortars belonged to the mortar departments no. 1 to 7. From April 1915 onwards mortar battalions were founded as well. From Sept. 2015 onwards, mortar companies under the command of the divisions were established, and an Inspector for the Mortar Units took over responsibility. In autumn 2016 General Field Marshal v. Hindenburg decided to put the light mortars under the command of the infantry. So henceforth the mortar companies comprised 4 heavy and 8 medium mortars. 4 companies formed a mortar battalion.

Regards

Henry

Thank you Henry, thats very helpful.

Would there be any way of tracking his war record..... I ve been to some German military cemeteries so I think there is an equivalent of our Commonwealth War Graves Commission.   Bundesvolk ??

I was hoping to identify the parent unit for this Minenwerfer Company but no luck so far. It was formed in 1917, one of the last to be established. More than likely it was part of a Minenwerfer Battalion that was assigned to a larger unit (Corps or Army). I am still looking to see what I can find. It was not attached to a particular division from what I can tell.

Thank you

Is anybody able to translate JWK s helpful post from the Berlin telephone directory

I wonder if his place of burial is proximal to where he died, or would he have been buried and then re interred at the end of the war