Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Foot Police P/1192 Albert John Eddenden

Sgt-Sags

Albert is named on my hometown war memorial and while updating my website on his brothers service I found a reference to Albert on the website Plodd in the Square Mile ( http://www.ploddinthesquaremile.co.uk/albert-john-eddenden/ ) that states;

“Died from gunshot wound (accidental) (murdered in France BEF)”

Is there any war diaries or other info for the Military Foot Police where I may be able to find where about Albert served in France and Flanders?

Albert John, Eddenden 1881 - 1918;

Born in Bangalore, India, on the 23rd of May 1881. Albert's father was serving as a Gunner with C Brigade, Royal Artillery.
Baptised at Bangalore, India on the 7th of July 1881.
Living at Vale Road, Yorktown, Camberley in the 1891 census.
Albert worked as a Cycle Maker
Enlisted on the 14th of January 1901 at Hyde Park Barracks, London, aged 19 years and 9 months.
Household Cavalry
Service No: 875
Living at Regent's Park Barracks, London, in the 1901 census.
Discharged from Army Service on the 27th of April 1901.
Joined the City of London Police on the 16th of May 1901.
Warrant No: 7220
Collar No: C247 and 342
Served at Bishop's Gate Police Station.
Living at and working at the Police Station 60 Minories, City of London, E.C., in the 1911 census. Albert aged 29 is a Police Constable.
Enlisted at Stratford, London, unknown date.
Military Foot Police.
Service No. P/1192.
Rank Private.
Promoted to Lance-Corporal, unknown date.
Posted to the B.E.F. in France, disembarking on the 29th of May 1915.
Appointed to Acting Sergeant, unknown date.
Died of Wounds on the 3rd of October 1918.
City of London Police Warrant Book records: “Died from gunshot wound (accidental) (murdered in France BEF)”
Buried at Longuenesse (St.Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.
Grave Reference: V. E. 31.
Remembered on the Camberley War Memorial. (As A. J. B. Eddenden)
Son of Edward Ernest and Sarah Ann Eddenden (nee Brindle), of 24, Moorlands Road, Camberley, Surrey.

Thank you

Lee

Thank you Michaelpi, not a twitter user myself so wouldn't have seen this.

Not exactly a murder but intriguing to find out more. Over 12,000 results on the National Archives website for Military Foot police and just the medal card for Albert  

Hello. 

Yes, we have quite a bit on Eddenden. We can help. Can you please drop the Museum an Email on 

museum@rhqrmp.org

Thank you Sad Brewer for the newspaper report and Thank you Tony, I will email the museum asap.

Lee

11 minutes ago, Sgt-Sags said:

Thank you Sad Brewer for the newspaper report and Thank you Tony, I will email the museum asap.

Lee

His younger brother Frederick Arthur was injured by a gas shell, whilst serving in The Guards Machine Gun Regiment. He was wounded on the 18th October, 1918.

11 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

His younger brother Frederick Arthur was injured by a gas shell, whilst serving in The Guards Machine Gun Regiment. He was wounded on the 18th October, 1918.

I have all of Fredericks details on my website. The family certainly had bad news in the last few weeks of the war.

Frederick Arthur was discharged by purchase in June 1920, and by July was a Police Constable in Hamilton, Canada. Another brother Thomas served with the Army Veterinary Corps, and the 4th who served Edward I've just started researching. 

Lee