Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Poplars' - 1/17th Londons

Ron

The account of the 17th Londons (Poplar and Stepney) Rifles first battalion's experiences on the Western Front has just appeared. It is available from the publisher:

Philip Mernick, Secretary East London History Society, 42, Campbell Road, BOW, London E3 4DT at £7.50 plus £2 post and packing.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Our copy arrived this morning, and my immediate impression is "what an excellent £7.50's worth!"

'The Poplars' by Ron Wilcox (is the previous poster being unduly modest?) is 187 well-illustrated pages of in-depth documentaion of the First Battalion Poplars' experiences on the Western Front, complete with index.

Hopefully, I'll get around to doing a review sometime, though it will have to take its place in my 'to read' queue.

Well done Ron, a welcome battalion history for one of the less-fashionable, but equally brave London units, and a must for followers of 47th Division.

Got mine last week, only had a chance for a skim read so far but looks excellent

Well done to all involved and very good value

Hambo

• 2 months later...

Hello, I thought I might add:

There are some group photos of the Poplar and Stepney Rifles at

www.1photos.com/London17th.html - they may be different from the booklet?.

Oddly enough I found a photo of Christopher Edwin Harvey(Rfn 2113), we think it might be the only one they ever sell. Still waiting for the post here in New Zealand sigh.

If you guys wanted too, could any one tell me where the unit was on the 16/5/1915, which was the date Christopher died? And maybe what happened? He arrived in France on the 9/3/15. So he was only there for 2 months. I would love to get a copy of that book but it becomes $28.00 New Zealand and about eight weeks for delivery.

I am asking for a friend at work, who is building a memorial to his gr.uncle - he inherited his death penny and is thinking about placing it in a museum one day.

We have his medal card and he is also on the solidiers died CDrom.

Melissa.

• 2 weeks later...

Suspect at the time 47th London Division were 'getting used to the front line' at the time when C Harvey was killed. The 47th Div were in the Cuinchy area in early May so probably died as a result of shell fire or ????

First went into action on the 25th May 1915 at the tail end of the Battle of Festubert....

Division suffered at this battle 2355 casualties, then took part at Loos in September 1915.

Hello, N Cherry - Thankyou for you reply. C Harvey obviously did not last long and he was buried in Cuinchy. Thankyou, your information gives a place to start reading. My friend was very excited to match up information to his great-uncle.

Thankyou Melissa. :)

• 2 months later...

Hello guys,

I finally got to see a Obituary from 'De Rugviny's Roll of Honour' on my "Poplar and Stepney Soldier". Thankyou for starting this thread, I did not know they became the 47th Division. C E Harvey was killed in Action by shell fire at Pont Fixe, Givenchy 9 March 1915. If you type "Pont Fixe" In the search Engine on this site you will even find a map.

Thankyou everyone, Melissa.

• 5 months later...

Dear Ron,

I am assuming that you are the authour of "The Poplars" which I have just bought and am currently reading.It is an extremely well researched and informative account and well worth the price.

I am in correspondence with the grandson of Sgt 1126?(later Captain) William Wood of the Pops and would be grateful for any information that you may have regarding him.

Best regards,

Cliff

Would there be any mention in your Book of Sergeant George Vanhinsbergh,DCM;who was attached to KAR & won his DCM @ Nikinjiri East Africa,for rescuing his Wounded Officer,in 1918;having spent the previous years on The WF,with his Regiment 17th London{He was a prewar Territorial & earned the TFEM as well}???

Ron,

I can't find mention of them in the book, but do you have anything on the Whitworth brothers?

Cliff, Harry, Kate

I am afraid I have no information on soldiers in the Poplars

beyond those mentioned in the book. When researching it, I

had difficulty in finding anything by individual soldiers and

had to rely on the unit diary to a large extent. I guess that

if you lived in east London you could do research in local

newspapers of the period since from what I have seen of

them they reported the War very fully but I moved away

many years ago. Another problem is that the population has

changed very radically over the last ninety years and few of

the families of the period are still there.

I am sorry not to be more helpful.

Best wishes

Ron

Cliff, Harry, Kate

I am afraid I have no information on soldiers in the Poplars

beyond those mentioned in the book. When researching it, I

had difficulty in finding anything by individual soldiers and

had to rely on the unit diary to a large extent. I guess that

if you lived in east London you could do research in local

newspapers of the period since from what I have seen of

them they reported the War very fully but I moved away

many years ago. Another problem is that the population has

changed very radically over the last ninety years and few of

I am sorry not to be more helpful.

Best wishes

Ron

Ron,

Many thanks for looking.

I will do a bit more digging.

Regards,

Cliff

few of

Cheers Ron,we should have stayed !!! :ph34r:

The account of the 17th Londons (Poplar and Stepney) Rifles first battalion's experiences on the Western Front has just appeared. It is available from the publisher:

Philip Mernick, Secretary East London History Society, 42, Campbell Road, BOW, London E3 4DT at £7.50 plus £2 post and packing.

Ron

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Is this account still available? The last post was awhile ago?

My Grandfather William Charle Frost was in the 17th Londons at the Battle of Loos.

The mind boggles to imagine what he saw.

An important addition to Great War histories and excellent value for money; hope you get a copy

Hi,

Is this account still available? The last post was awhile ago?

My Grandfather William Charle Frost was in the 17th Londons at the Battle of Loos.

The mind boggles to imagine what he saw.

I have the War Diaries and map re Loos. Cant PM you yet I need an e mail address to send to you. See if you can PM me first with e mail which is only shared between us and I will e mail docs to you. Colin

I have the War Diaries and map re Loos. Cant PM you yet I need an e mail address to send to you. See if you can PM me first with e mail which is only shared between us and I will e mail docs to you. Colin

Sorry meant to say docs too big to send via Forum link Colin

Sorry meant to say docs too big to send via Forum link Colin

Does anyone know the ship this Battalion came over on?

My mother believes her grandfather used to have a picture of it on the wall after he came back.

p.s Thanks again c clive you are a gent.

The battalion embarked at Southampton on SS Viper, SS Copenhagen and SS Trafford Hall on the 9th March and disembarked at Le Harve, 8am on the 10th and marched to No.1 Rest Camp.

Jon

My mother believes her grandfather used to have a picture of it on the wall after he came back.

p.s Thanks again c clive you are a gent.

Just received the "The Poplars" by Ron Wilcox.

Fantastic read. Call me a bit soppy but I love the idea that even though I never meet my grandfather who served in the 17th at Loos. I can read a book which includes many men that may have met him and may have shared laughs, tears etc with him.

Thank you Ron.

RIP Percy Wilcox and William "Bill" Frost.