Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ABNEY PARK CEMETERY

trenchwalker

whilst doing some of my family history i visited ABNEY PARK CEMETERY yesterday which is and absoultly magical place. It once was the main cemetary for london but has become a national park . like devilles wood with walks and and path except in the wooded bit. there are thousands of graves.from the most regal to the smallest porpers. with 211 ww1 commonwealth graves.

dont know why i wrote this post but was moved by abney park.

any if your in the stoke newington area make a visit. but dont get lost :D

whilst doing some of my family history i visited ABNEY PARK CEMETERY yesterday which is and absoultly magical place. It once was the main cemetary for london but has become a national park . like devilles wood with walks and and path except in the wooded bit. there are thousands of graves.from the most regal to the smallest porpers. with 211 ww1 commonwealth graves.

DId you find your family members?

Robbie

there were six one was being used as part of the path the other is in perfect condition.

whilst the rest are out there but cant be found.

• 6 years later...

Once a month I visit a friend who lives 300m from the cemetery and, having allowed extra time for the train journey, I often pop in there for 20 minutes or so. Yes, it's a great place - a nature reserve and a cemetery, with some interesting old trees and a great deal of varied graveyard architecture - lots of graves very close together and somewhat higgledy-piggledy. The Booths of Salvation Army fame are buried there. There are 258 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war and a further 113 of 1939-1945 here. Those whose graves could not be marked by individual headstones are recorded by name on a Screen Wall memorial near the Cross of Sacrifice towards the centre of the cemetery, opposite the chapel.

I haven't got around to the CWGC area yet and I wonder in what condition it is.

I plan to spend a couple of hours there exploring later this year.

Moonraker

Why so many war graves? Was there a hospital nearby? Or are they occupied mainly by people who lived in the area?

Moonraker

• 7 years later...

Just discovered that Captain Danny founder of the Old Contemptibles Association was buried there with full military honours.  I will check his grave out some time this year.