Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another unit ID please

Phil Hollington

This is another we are having a problem with - if we can get the unit we can identify the soldier, who we think is my great great uncle. Is it possible to do an ID from the buttons?

Many thanks again, Phil

F6E57D4B-74D4-426A-A58F-4BFD5BB19FCD.jpeg

Harder to say because for sure but they do look like the cameronians as well. The buttons seem to contained a bugle horn and laurel wreath which would match. Sorry I cant be of more help.

The button is general service (GS) pattern (the uppermost button clearly defined) and the shoulder title curved with at least 9-letters, suggesting a county regiment.  Are you able to give a likely home town or area?

206D2852-BC9B-4397-B9EC-FF9F9B30F32A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Well, we have always thought it was one of my father’s paternal uncles, which would give us London, Middlesex or Essex (and he was in the RFA for the duration). If on the maternal side it would be Edinburgh, Royal Scots we think, but trying to find an individual Robert Hamilton is a labour of Hercules!

1 hour ago, Phil Hollington said:

Well, we have always thought it was one of my father’s paternal uncles, which would give us London, Middlesex or Essex (and he was in the RFA for the duration). If on the maternal side it would be Edinburgh, Royal Scots we think, but trying to find an individual Robert Hamilton is a labour of Hercules!

Middlesex fits best of those that you’ve quoted.

922641D7-65D8-487F-908C-DEA5A35F9504.jpeg