Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calgary Soldiers' Memorial, Canada.

stuart rowles

Just found this picture which must have the name of William John Russell Rowles engraved on it somewhere.

He served with the 46th Battalion, 10th Infantry Brigade. He died in action on 22nd October 1917, age just 19.

He was buried at Nine Elms Cemetery, Section IV, Row E, Grave 6.  I have a pictureof his headstone.

What is the best way to obtain a picture of the appropriate panel of this memorial.

111.jpg

22222.jpg

The Calgary memorial is a pain in the derriere- I have 2 local casualties who are on it. And a friend who snaps war memorials for another pay site on Tinternet- whose partner comes from Calgary, so he is frequently there-I think he has failed to get a legible picture of the panels.   The stone used and the light make this a particularly awkward one to get a decent pic. of.  You might try the Glenbow Museum in Calgary-they have been helpful in the past and I have a feeling that they do have a listing of names on the memorial.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the information.

Where can I get a complete list of the names on the memorial so I can verify William's entry.

29 minutes ago, stuart rowles said:

Thanks Volyaire60 for the information.

Where can I get a complete list of the names on the memorial so I can verify William's entry.

I will ask a friend to check on his. pics. for you.   He has confirmed that he has pics. but told me the stone used was especially awkward to catch the wording in the light. Fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this information Ken.

William John Russell Rowles states on his attestation papers that although he enlisted at Vancouver he was born at Calgary.

I don't know if that was correct or not but I guess that is why his name is not listed on the memorial.

Hi Guest,

Apologies. It seems William does not have his name on this memorial.

His papers state he was born in Calgary but he enlisted in Vancouver and was therefore left off the list.

However James Prosser Rowles is on the memorial under WW2.

He was a Lance  Corporal with the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps and died 25.5.1945.

If it was possible to obtain a picture of this entry on the memorial I would be delighted

34 minutes ago, Annaquinn said:

Looks amazing!

It is- but as my friend who goes to Calagary and snaps memorials hither and thither say-it is very, very hard to snap and get clear images of the inscribed names. 

On 06/12/2020 at 09:36, stuart rowles said:

Hi GUEST,

Apologies. It seems William does not have his name on this memorial.

His papers state he was born in Calgary but he enlisted in Vancouver and was therefore left off the list.

However James Prosser Rowles is on the memorial under WW2.

He was a Lance  Corporal with the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps and died 25.5.1945.

If it was possible to obtain a picture of this entry on the memorial I would be delighted

Stuart  I live in Calgary and will try and get your photo, may take a bit but will get it for you

Regards

Bob R.

Thanks Bob.

That's very kind of you and much appreciated.

photos as requested, you will have to edit my thumb out of one

regards

Bob R.

Edited by robins2

Thanks Bob.

The pictures are just perfect.

Thank you for taking the time to get them for me.

you are welcome, I had a look for his service file here:    https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/second-world-war/second-world-war-dead-1939-1947/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=30991&   it appears that it is not processed digitally as yet.

regards  Bob R.