Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

artisticnoodles

Hello,

I am trying to decode my relative's service record in order to track his whereabouts during the war. Unfortunately some parts of the record are damaged/faded and my lack of familiarity with military terminology (divisions, battalions etc.) is making decoding some parts a little difficult. If anyone can help to interpret some of the more illegible parts, and help sense-check my understanding so far, I'd very much appreciate it!

So far, I know that he originally signed up for the 2-1 West Riding Brigade RFA and was placed in the 5th Battery. Although this was in 1912, and my understanding is that a second line brigade was not added until 1915? Unless I've misunderstood.

report0.jpg.1a3a48ef4cda613941db8b80191b4794.jpg

After this, he transferred and this is where things become a little difficult.record1.jpg.d9c4ca4b7735f84edba34d6650c69ac1.jpg

In the red box, the only part I've managed to decipher its "Bty" which I'm assuming means Battery. I think the number on the edge of the page is "10th" but it could be missing another digit. I can't read the word which I think begins with a P, nor the word beneath.

Underlined in blue, it seams he was then in the 232 Brigade (1/3rd North Midland?) and I'm assuming "A.C." stands for Ammunition Column?

record2.jpg.f201d1c8e3b4e94aef689d3c545a4eb7.jpg

Underlined in blue "?/232nd A.F.A Brigade" I'm guessing this means Army Field Artillery.

I can only read a few words of the text in the red and yellow boxes, and so my understanding of them is a little limited. The yellow box seems to be something about a "bounty"? And I think the red box is about continuing his service.

Finally, the green box and purple underline are a lot of acronyms which I think I've figured out but what to sense check and make sure I understand:

DAC - Divisional Ammunition Column

TMB - Trench Mortar Battery

MTMB - Medium Trench Mortar Battery?

Are these all a part of the 11th (Northern) Division?

I realise that I'm asking for a fair bit but any help would be appreciated!

The red box says Con..... in service under GSA Session 2, 1916, which I think was the order to keep enlisted men in the Army beyond their retirement date, for the duration.

However, some proper experts will be along shortly, I'm sure.

The yellow box says.. Bounty allowed under a/c regulations of 1916 and then lists the amounts in £.s.d.

21 minutes ago, Interested said:

The red box says Con..... in service under GSA Session 2, 1916, which I think was the order to keep enlisted men in the Army beyond their retirement date, for the duration.

However, some proper experts will be along shortly, I'm sure.

The yellow box says.. Bounty allowed under a/c regulations of 1916 and then lists the amounts in £.s.d.

Thanks for this! Just looked up GSA Session 2 1916 - think it might be an M actually for Military Service Act, but I wouldn't have found it without your help so thanks!

Hi,

In the first image, might it read as 2nd West Riding Brigade RFA, rather than 2/1 West Riding Brigade?

In the second image. I think that the red box may read as 10th Prov[isional] Battery W[est],R[Riding] something - possibly 'Res[erve] ??? Underlined in blue I believe is 232 Brigade Ammunition Column.

In the third image, underlined in blue reads as 'A' Battery, 232 Army Field Artillery Brigade. See here for the war diaries.

1 hour ago, artisticnoodles said:

DAC - Divisional Ammunition Column

TMB - Trench Mortar Battery

MTMB - Medium Trench Mortar Battery

I think that those are correct, and that the record also indicates that he served with 'X' TMB.

1 hour ago, artisticnoodles said:

Are these all a part of the 11th (Northern) Division?

There is an ORBAT of 11 Division here.

Regards

Chris