Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery pocket watch found in late fathers belongings need help tracing the soldier.


Joanne Beddingfield

Recommended Posts

My father passed away in 2019 and we found a Smiths Empire pocket watch amongst his things, silver coloured of little value, there is a solid silver chain attached to the watch with 2 'medals' one is blank and one has the following engraved - AMM COL 2/1 CHES RFA 2ND LIEU CBO JONES RELAY RACE 03/05/16  I am trying to find out who this soldier was and why my father has it in his possession (or could be my late mothers?) as far as I am aware we have no 'Jones' in our family. I managed to locate a medal card with C B O Jones Royal Field Artillery 2nd Lieutenant Reg 130749 and there is a Charles Britton Jones on Ancestry but I have no idea if this is the correct person. Any help would be much appreciated as I am stuck!

125520714_378769490031633_7215200697260090401_n.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
1 minute ago, Ivor Anderson said:

He must have been promoted from the ranks hence the service number - MIC says commissioned October 1916. MIC free off Ancestry:

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 15.27.57.png

 

Commissioned 5 months too late to be the owner of the medal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

War Forces Records site shows seniority date 07/08/15 so I assume this was the date he was commissioned, I am not sure. But again just shows C B O Jones 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trouble is Jones is a common surname.  The December 1916 Army List has a 2nd/Lt C B O Jones who was commissioned into 2/1 Cheshire RFA on 7th August 1915. He looks to be a better match

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2/1 Cheshire RFA was part of 68th (2nd Welsh) Division which did not serve overseas and so there won't be a medal card for 2nd/Lt C B O Jones

Edited by Bordercollie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about

 

 
 
Cecil Brailsford Oakes Jones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Corisande is correct.  This the link to the London Gazette for his commissioning https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29265/supplement/8145    Should be easy to follow with a name like that.

 

His second Christian name was actually Brellisford according to the Gazette.

Edited by HarryBrook
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bordercollie said:

The trouble is Jones is a common surname.  The December 1916 Army List has a 2nd/Lt C B O Jones who was commissioned into 2/1 Cheshire RFA on 7th August 1915. He looks to be a better match

Surely this is the man? Quite a coincidence if not. 

 

Is it possible that 2nd Lt Jones was the giver of the prize? Just a thought, don't have any idea of sporting convention like this!

 

Cheers, Pat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joanne Beddingfield said:

Where did you find this name?

 

Sounds accusatory :)

 

Its what we do round here - this FmP link should tell you all you need to know about him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goodness me you are all wonderful I have spent over 24 hours searching the net and you find a matching name that quickly thank you so much I am very grateful to all of you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Just found that also. It's linked to an entry for him on Ancestry family tree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, I have Ancestry thankfully so can see this. I am still puzzled why we have this as I can find no links to his family at all who now reside in Africa from looking at web, but I shall have fun researching :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi 

Cecil Brellisford Jones b.20.2.1890  was  AA969 RN Volunteer Reserve,Sheffield Division 1914-1915.  Correct date of birth as per 1939 register. Probate 1962 to son Peter Brellisford-Hardyman  Jones born 20 th May, 1917. 1909 service record indicates worked for Chester Corporation. Analyst, 1939 Coventry Corp. Analytical Chemist.

Regards Barry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
On 18/11/2020 at 14:57, Joanne Beddingfield said:

My father passed away in 2019 and we found a Smiths Empire pocket watch amongst his things, silver coloured of little value, there is a solid silver chain attached to the watch with 2 'medals' one is blank and one has the following engraved - AMM COL 2/1 CHES RFA 2ND LIEU CBO JONES RELAY RACE 03/05/16  I am trying to find out who this soldier was and why my father has it in his possession (or could be my late mothers?) as far as I am aware we have no 'Jones' in our family. I managed to locate a medal card with C B O Jones Royal Field Artillery 2nd Lieutenant Reg 130749 and there is a Charles Britton Jones on Ancestry but I have no idea if this is the correct person. Any help would be much appreciated as I am stuck!

125520714_378769490031633_7215200697260090401_n.jpg

 

On 18/11/2020 at 16:30, Joanne Beddingfield said:

Thank you, I have Ancestry thankfully so can see this. I am still puzzled why we have this as I can find no links to his family at all who now reside in Africa from looking at web, but I shall have fun researching :-)

 

Peter Brellisford Hardyman-Jones was my grandfather.  My father was his son, Christopher Hardyman-Jones. The family lived in Rhodesia at one point.

i live in Dorset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Joanne Beddingfieldhasn’t visited the forum since 2020, but my tag may alert them your post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...