Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery pocket watch found in late fathers belongings need help tracing the soldier.

Joanne Beddingfield

My father passed away in 2019 and we found a Smiths Empire pocket watch amongst his things, silver coloured of little value, there is a solid silver chain attached to the watch with 2 'medals' one is blank and one has the following engraved - AMM COL 2/1 CHES RFA 2ND LIEU CBO JONES RELAY RACE 03/05/16  I am trying to find out who this soldier was and why my father has it in his possession (or could be my late mothers?) as far as I am aware we have no 'Jones' in our family. I managed to locate a medal card with C B O Jones Royal Field Artillery 2nd Lieutenant Reg 130749 and there is a Charles Britton Jones on Ancestry but I have no idea if this is the correct person. Any help would be much appreciated as I am stuck!

125520714_378769490031633_7215200697260090401_n.jpg

• Admin
1 minute ago, Ivor Anderson said:

He must have been promoted from the ranks hence the service number - MIC says commissioned October 1916. MIC free off Ancestry:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 15.27.57.png

Commissioned 5 months too late to be the owner of the medal?

War Forces Records site shows seniority date 07/08/15 so I assume this was the date he was commissioned, I am not sure. But again just shows C B O Jones 

The trouble is Jones is a common surname.  The December 1916 Army List has a 2nd/Lt C B O Jones who was commissioned into 2/1 Cheshire RFA on 7th August 1915. He looks to be a better match

2/1 Cheshire RFA was part of 68th (2nd Welsh) Division which did not serve overseas and so there won't be a medal card for 2nd/Lt C B O Jones

Edited by Bordercollie

How about

Cecil Brailsford Oakes Jones

Corisande is correct.  This the link to the London Gazette for his commissioning https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29265/supplement/8145    Should be easy to follow with a name like that.

His second Christian name was actually Brellisford according to the Gazette.

Edited by HarryBrook

10 minutes ago, Bordercollie said:

The trouble is Jones is a common surname.  The December 1916 Army List has a 2nd/Lt C B O Jones who was commissioned into 2/1 Cheshire RFA on 7th August 1915. He looks to be a better match

Surely this is the man? Quite a coincidence if not. 

Is it possible that 2nd Lt Jones was the giver of the prize? Just a thought, don't have any idea of sporting convention like this!

Cheers, Pat.

2 minutes ago, Joanne Beddingfield said:

Where did you find this name?

Sounds accusatory :)

Its what we do round here - this FmP link should tell you all you need to know about him

Goodness me you are all wonderful I have spent over 24 hours searching the net and you find a matching name that quickly thank you so much I am very grateful to all of you

22 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Just found that also. It's linked to an entry for him on Ancestry family tree. 

Thank you, I have Ancestry thankfully so can see this. I am still puzzled why we have this as I can find no links to his family at all who now reside in Africa from looking at web, but I shall have fun researching :-)

Hi 

Cecil Brellisford Jones b.20.2.1890  was  AA969 RN Volunteer Reserve,Sheffield Division 1914-1915.  Correct date of birth as per 1939 register. Probate 1962 to son Peter Brellisford-Hardyman  Jones born 20 th May, 1917. 1909 service record indicates worked for Chester Corporation. Analyst, 1939 Coventry Corp. Analytical Chemist.

Regards Barry

• 2 years later...
On 18/11/2020 at 14:57, Joanne Beddingfield said:

My father passed away in 2019 and we found a Smiths Empire pocket watch amongst his things, silver coloured of little value, there is a solid silver chain attached to the watch with 2 'medals' one is blank and one has the following engraved - AMM COL 2/1 CHES RFA 2ND LIEU CBO JONES RELAY RACE 03/05/16  I am trying to find out who this soldier was and why my father has it in his possession (or could be my late mothers?) as far as I am aware we have no 'Jones' in our family. I managed to locate a medal card with C B O Jones Royal Field Artillery 2nd Lieutenant Reg 130749 and there is a Charles Britton Jones on Ancestry but I have no idea if this is the correct person. Any help would be much appreciated as I am stuck!

125520714_378769490031633_7215200697260090401_n.jpg

On 18/11/2020 at 16:30, Joanne Beddingfield said:

Thank you, I have Ancestry thankfully so can see this. I am still puzzled why we have this as I can find no links to his family at all who now reside in Africa from looking at web, but I shall have fun researching :-)

Peter Brellisford Hardyman-Jones was my grandfather.  My father was his son, Christopher Hardyman-Jones. The family lived in Rhodesia at one point.

i live in Dorset.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Joanne Beddingfieldhasn’t visited the forum since 2020, but my tag may alert them your post.