Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps record of a 16 year old

Ed ROBINSON

Greetings chaps, I am after your thoughts on Arthur George Frederick Jackson, it would appear that he was given the original service number of 11370 then 390348 ?  390348 appear on his L.S.G.C & M.S.M. The campaign section shows B.E.F  23/2/16 - 18/3/18 & wounded in action 27/3/18. I have searched Ancestry and Find My Past with no result for any MIC or rolls.  As he would have been 16 is it possible that he enlisted under a false name age? or is the record simply wrong as another date for 1919 has been crossed out. He was still serving as late as late as 1947 as Capt QM with the 3rd Dragoon Gds. Cheers EdGBM_TANK_016_002.jpg.3385a3e8afd6c49ac3c46afd8d19021d.jpg

The answer may lie in his service file held by the MoD ,

Name: A G F Jackson
Birth Date: 28 Dec 1900
Service Number: P257527
Reference Number: AOP000353443

I cannot read the right hand column which, in pencil, might have shown his prev unit ?

Possibly last column on right in pencil says 25th can’t read rest and further to left is that India crossed out? 

Yes that is India and his record seems to have been corrected. interestingly it is the same info crossed out on the man below, who was 7DG.

The 11370 number is definitely his Feb 1915 original number as a Corps of Dragoons enlistment.

I had a look at the man below him thinking that it may have been entered in error for Jackson, but whilst they both went to France on the same date, its a different end date. The 2 things that stands out to me are: He deployed when he had only just turned 16 so Im thinking false name & age which hasn't been married up with this document. The other is the fact that he fractured his clavicle which I would think would be a result of being thrown around inside a tank. I think the MOD records is probably the only way to find out at this stage.  2038303943_GBM_TANK_016_002(2).jpg.8c0f6a7dcb69c85b831bb22c6b122f47.jpg

On 18/11/2020 at 02:07, Ed ROBINSON said:

so Im thinking false name & age which hasn't been married up with this document.

But that 11370 number should still be valid since it is a 1915 issue. I couldn't see it issued to another Dragoon (ie a false name), but please would someone else verify ?