Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help translating WW1 German letter

gboehm

Hi everyone, could someone help me translate this letter? I'm not too good in Kurent (Or sutterlin, can never tell them appart :D )

3.jpg

It's a letter saying that their son Michael Rössler has received a medal for bravery and that he will be awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class after he returns from captivity.

Jan

I'm impressed ... 

apart from a lot of mmmm I can't make out a single word. if it wasn't for the stamp on top, I can't even say it's German... and I's supposed to be a language wizz... 

M.

It's adressed to Herrn Josef Rössler, Lixhausen (Kreis Strassburg i/Els.)

Ich kann Ihnen heute zu meinen Freude mitteilen,  (It gives me great pleasure to inform you today)

then it gets a little fuzzy for me: the Komm. General of [....] has put forward the name of your son Michael for a medal, upon recommendation from [3] battery (aus Vorschlag der batterie) ?

Infolgedessen werd

[….] Ihrem Sohn nach seinen Ruckkehr aus den Gefangenschaft

von Sr Majestat der Kaiser das Eiseren Kreuz II Kl verleihen

worden. Ich hoffe dass Sie von Ihren Sohn gute Nachrichten haben.

Hence

your son, after his return from captivity, will be awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class, by His Majesty the Emperor.

I hope all is well with your son.

signed

Wiesmann (?)

Lt. d. Res.

No doubt someone will come along to fill in the blanks.

(Hope I got all conjugations right!)

Edited by JWK

1 hour ago, JWK said:

(Hope I got all conjugations right!)

Almost!

Here is a transliteration.

Maybe Michael Rössler can be found in the  files of the IRC? Was he born 10th November 1887 in Rot am See, then part of Würrtemberg?

GreyC

914335908_Ubersetzung.jpg.578a41277af4a765253b27c30cc010ba.jpg

I am happy to be able to tell you that the commanding General of our former Army Corps, after having received a suggestion from the battery, found your son Michael worthy of being awarded for valour in the field. Thus his Majesty will probably award  your son the Iron Cross 2nd class once released as POW. I hope you have good news from your son.

Wiesman (not Wiessmann as written above in my text), Leutnant der Reserve.

Edited by GreyC

4 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Maybe Michael Rössler can be found in the  files of the IRC?

If I'm not mistaken Michael was a POW on the Eastern Front (Riga. See :

Thanks @GreyC for taking the time on this. Really appreciated!

Here's the IRC record. 

I'm actual quite lucky with the amount of information I managed to get. Alsatian soldiers had most of their military information transferred in the 20s and 30s from Germany to France in order to work out military pensions. So while the archives have been pretty much destroyed in Potsdam in 1945, you can still find a decent amount about soldiers from Alsace. 

All my documents for Michel Roessler:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4jwjvroowpfvev/AACZNnol3mbznJDHoyb7C_hsa?dl=0

I'm now going to turn to another relative Henri Boehm (Heinrich Böhm) born 27 Nov. 1881 in Lassoth Preussen. I've ordered his ancien combatant dossier from the french archives. He might be interesting because he is seems to be much older than most soldiers. 

C_G1_D_02_01_0128_0119.JPG

Edited by gboehm

Hello!

Right.

The staff, 2nd and 3rd battery was part of the 10th army in that time (10.11.17-10.4.18), when the letter was written.

The 10th army was engaged in the trench-battles between Njemen - Beresina - Krewo - Smorgon - Narotch Lake and Tweretsch (18.9.-5.12.1917).

But he was captured in summer 1917. Then the bataillon war part of the 8th army, which was in the area Riga/Jakobstadt.