Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Medal

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi all,

Below is a section from a photograph showing the dedication of the War Memorial in Little Cornard, Suffolk, August 1921.

Can anyone please identify the medal on (our) right of this gent's group.

I believe he is Arthur St. Leger Glyn (1870-1928), but I am happy to be corrected on this.

Am I correct in say the first two medals are of The South Africa War's period?

Regards

Stewart

post-23-1109444987.jpg

Last one looks like a Legion d' honneur.

I would say, QSA, KSA, 14/14-15 Star, BWM, the next should be VM, (but it looks like its on a straight suspender from this picture...!!!), then the French award.

Mark

Guest birdflightless

Mark,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I had not noticed the suspension of the medal where the VM should be, his MIC confirms the award of the 14/15 Star BW and VM, he also collected two emblems.

Thanks again

Stewart

Stewart.

Maybe if you were to enlarge the picture, it will probably show the "Ring suspender" for the VM.

The photo just makes it look a little "straight", maybe a shadow... :)

Mark

Stewart

From the Army Quarterly List 31st December 1919:

A St Leger Glyn (Major retired pay) Lt Colonel late Territorial Force

South African War 1900-1902 - Special Service Officer. Advance on Kimberley, including action at Magersfontein. Operations in the Orange Free State (Feb- May 1900), including actions at Popular Grove, Dreifontain, Vet River (5th and 6th May), and Zand River. Operations in the Transvaaal (May-June 1900), including actions near Johannesburg, Pretoria and Diamond Hill (11-12th June 1900). Operations in the Transvaal, east of Pretoria, (July 1900). Operations in the Transvaal (30th Nov 1900 - 31st May 1902) Queens (South Africa) Medal 4 Clasps.

The War of 1914-1919 - Wounded. Despatches London Gazette 17 Feb 1915, 1st Jan 1916, 20 May 1918. Brevet of Major in Reserve of Officers. Legion of Honour, 4th Class

Although not mentioned in the Army List, I think he may have also been entitled to the King's South Africa Medal with two clasps South Africa 1901 and 1902. A search of the medal rolls would be needed confirm that.

Terry Reeves

Although not mentioned in the Army List, I think he may have also been entitled to the King's South Africa Medal with two clasps South Africa 1901 and 1902. A search of the medal rolls would be needed confirm that.

Terry

Nice info'.

He's certainly wearing the KSA, from the picture.

Also looks to have the "Usual" 2 clasps.

Mark

Guest birdflightless

Mark & Terry,

Thank you for the very helpful and informative posts.

Colonel Glyn must have retired to the Sudbury, Suffolk area after the war, because in his dedication speech, he says "I am, he proceeded, newly come amongst you, and cannot pretend that I knew any of these men personally,...."

Although he died in 1927, his wife opened a local Village Hall the following year.

Anyway thanks again

Stewart