Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stoker Stanley John Pocock

Donna Wilson

Can anyone help me find out more about the attached naval records of my grandfather, Stanley Pocock? I have obtained the attached records from the National Archive. I know he died in December 1939 on the HMT James Ludford, a minesweeper in the Tyne and he is listed as a crew member on that trawler on the www.wrecksite.eu website, but I cannot see that ship mentioned in the attached records. Can anyone throw any light on why this could be or interpret the attached records to point me in the right direction?

ADM-188-723-38452.pdf ADM-188-1127-121559.pdf

He enlisted as a boy seaman in May 1915 but his twelve-year engagement did not start until his18th birthday in Sep 1917.  In May 1919 he was transferred from the seamnan branch to be a stoker on a special service (SS) engagement. This required him to serve five years ijn the Fleet, followed by discharge to the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR) for a further seven years. He was mobilsied from the RFR for two months in 1921 for the national miners' strike and again, in 1938 for a one week practice mobilisation. He was mobilised for WW2 in June 1939.

Thank you so much Horatio2, I have now ordered the third record, but your information is invaluable. With gratitude to you for your knowledge and expertise. 

The trawler was based, successively, on HMS COCHRANE (at Rosyth), HMS TITANIA (at Blyth) and HMS CALLIOPE (on the Tyne).

However, please note that WW2 service is outside the remit of this WW1 forum.