Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Brigade

Gunner 87

Hi guys. I thought to share this image of what I believe is three members from the Royal Marine Brigade manning a Maxim. With the nearest and furthest being in white tunics I assume this is a Mediterranean or Far East theatre as opposed to the Western Front. In addition, the top of the cap being worn by the RM behind the machine gun is white. The source of the picture had served in Malta though not with the RMB. Comments and opinions welcome.

gwf2.jpg

4 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

The source of the picture had served in Malta though not with the RMB.

The "RM Brigade" did not serve in Malta. It was, as 3rd (RM) Brigade until mid-August 1915, one of the three brigades of the Royal Naval Division.

thank you horatio2, that is interesting as to where the pic was taken and where my Great Grandfather obtained it. Would they have worn this uniform on the Western Front?

9 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Would they have worn this uniform on the Western Front?

No. This has the feel of a posed photograph, possibly an RMLI machine gun crew disembarked from a ship for training ashore. Pure speculation.

I agree, it looks posed. You must excuse my lack of knowledge, but the fact they are not in Khaki adds to that assumption. Thanks for your opinion, it's appreciated.

The possible date ranges could place the image outside WW1. The Broderick cap shown was introdued to RMLI and RMA in 1903 and was still in use in 1923 when RMLI and RMA were amalgamated into RM. I have no weapon expertise but I understand that the .303 Maxim MG was the standard issue to RN ships from 1890 to 1930. Can you tell us your GGF's service? Was he RMLI?

The image suggests the Maxim is being used against aircraft which narrows the date-window.

Edited by horatio2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2020 at 14:47, horatio2 said:

The possible date ranges could place the image outside WW1. The Broderick cap shown was introdued to RMLI and RMA in 1903 and was still in use in 1923 when RMLI and RMA were amalgamated into RM. I have no weapon expertise but I understand that the .303 Maxim MG was the standard issue to RN ships from 1890 to 1930. Can you tell us your GGF's service? Was he RMLI?

The image suggests the Maxim is being used against aircraft which narrows the date-window.

horatio, apologies, I missed your reply. My Great Grandfather served with the Royal Garrison Artillery in Malta but, as you have previously pointed out, there was no RM deployment to the island. Since posting this we have found a relative that served with the RMLI Chatham Division, Albert Augustus Eburn 15586, and am considering the likelihood that he was the source of the photograph.

4 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Pte EBURN served in the cruiser HMS BLONDE in the Mediterranean from May 1912 to May 1913 and was discharged invalided in June 1913. That would put some bounds on the possible dates. He did not serve in WW1.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7806581

thank you horatio2, your help is appreciated as always. I think the passage of time and the number of my relations that served in WW1 will make finding the source of this photograph almost impossible. I do side with your initial 'speculation' that they are ashore on a training exercise but would be nice to know where. The picture certainly has the Mediterranean feel about it.

On 13/11/2020 at 17:39, Gunner 87 said:

Hi guys. I thought to share this image of what I believe is three members from the Royal Marine Brigade manning a Maxim. With the nearest and furthest being in white tunics I assume this is a Mediterranean or Far East theatre as opposed to the Western Front. In addition, the top of the cap being worn by the RM behind the machine gun is white. The source of the picture had served in Malta though not with the RMB. Comments and opinions welcome.

gwf2.jpg

Very faint writing on back of photo:

Sgt Wells, Sgt Powell

RM 2.1 Depot

Hope that helps

15 minutes ago, oscarquebec said:

Very faint writing on back of photo:

Sgt Wells, Sgt Powell

RM 2.1 Depot

Hope that helps

that's great, thank you. 

8 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Pte EBURN served in the cruiser HMS BLONDE in the Mediterranean from May 1912 to May 1913 and was discharged invalided in June 1913. That would put some bounds on the possible dates. He did not serve in WW1.

Hi horatio2, does the above information from oscarquebec, regarding the RM unit, assist in any possible deployment to the Mediterranean or other theatre?

2 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

RM 2.1 Depot

This makes no sense. Could it be "RMLI Depot"? This could refer to the Depot at Deal. The names are too common to be helpful. Thousands of men passed through the Depot or were on the permanent staff.

16 hours ago, horatio2 said:

This makes no sense. Could it be "RMLI Depot"? This could refer to the Depot at Deal. The names are too common to be helpful. Thousands of men passed through the Depot or were on the permanent staff.

It's RMLI but not Depot.... any idea?

RMLI.jpg

4 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Not a clue!

Think this one will have to go into the unsolved file.....I appreciate your help anyway. Thanks Gunner 87.

On 28/11/2020 at 09:50, horatio2 said: