Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trace my Great Grandfather service records

Cubbyno9

Hi all, please forgive me in advance as I am not very experienced with computer.

I am trying to find details of my great Grandfathers service records. His name is Adam Turnbull Macintosh and was from Glasgow. I believe he was in the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders.

Would anyone be so kind to advise me where to start.  I have checked and there are various sites but all need money to register. I don't mind that but want to make sure I register with a decent site.

Many thanks.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The best place to start is reading the How To Research a Soldier in the Long Long Trail website, which is linked from the forum. 

I'm sure the members will be along to help you as well.

Michelle 

If you can work out access to Ancestry (it's free at the moment). There are two pages from his (although the spelling different) Attestation Papers 'Burnt Documents'

There are details for Adam McIntosh b 1896 Living - 19 Rodney St., Glasgow.

Regimental No. 16743.

Married 31 December 1914  Jane Brough McGeddie

children Henrietta Brough Macintosh 28.05.15 and Alison McGaw McIntosh 07.09.17

Just came across more pages!! There are also Medal Rolls - he was awarded 1914 1915 Star / British War Medal & Victory Medal.

He also received a Silver War Badge (SWB).

Edited by BarbaraG

Cubby,

A warm welcome to GWF.

If you are not already subscribing ... 

Access to Ancestry and/or Find My Past is often available [free] to local library members = so worth exploring getting a library membership if you have not got one yet.

Usually access available in-library but in these current COVID days some libraries even now allow [free] access remotely [sadly not all libraries, but you may be lucky]

Ancestry may also be available for basic viewing [e.g. MIC] and searches through a free registration for a basic membership as a Registered Guest [or at least it was, and currently still is, for some lucky blighters!] - And as Barbara has above posted there may another free option at present, so hurry!

Otherwise you can often get a temporary free trial - FMP offer you 14 days.

Good luck with your endeavours - I feel sure other GWF pals will be along soon too.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
correction

1 hour ago, BarbaraG said:

If you can work out access to Ancestry (it's free at the moment). There are two pages from his Attestation Papers 'Burnt Documents'

There are details for Adam McIntosh b 1896 Living - 19 Rodney St., Glasgow.

Regimental No. 16743.

Married 31 December 1914  Jane Brough McGeddie

children Henrietta Brough Macintosh 28.05.15 and Alison McGaw McIntosh 07.09.17

Cubby,

If this is your GGF [please let us know if you think it may be] then there is also a MIC from the National Archives - you can view [and it's available for free download at present - you just have to register with them] https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3824672 - it's relatively poor b/w and you can get better from Ancestry in colour.

As McIntosh ...

Shows this soldier entered France 30-10-15 and was awarded a 1914-15 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal plus a Silver War Badge [typically for wounds and/or sickness] if honourably discharged on medical grounds - Discharged 17-9-1918 - Ancestry can show details of a SWB [number etc.]

FMP show parts of his Service Record too - quite a few more than two pages - including details of service, discipline, medical etc.

FMP's Service Record shows he was medically examined on 12.9.1918 and was suffering from a slight Gun Shot Wound and psoriasis/eczema.  Another medical record shows he was earlier hospitalised for psoriasis.  These seem the reasons for his discharge but no disability attributed to war service.  It appears he probably got a gratuity.

I've checked at Western Front Association/Fold3 and no pension claim appears to have been made/awarded

He was a miner and was released back for coal mining.

If it's not your GGF then it's back to the drawing board for us!

Edited by Matlock1418
additions relating to FMP

Hi Matlock, Barbara

Thank you so much for your help.

Apologies for late reply, I am away with my kids for weekend and only able to logon.  

Yip that is the very man.

I remember him when I was a very young lad, going down with my Gran during school holidays to care for my Great Gran as she was bed bound, my Great grandfather was very fit and able. I always remember him passing a rugby ball with me!!!!! Lovingly teasing me playing rugby in the house.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help, especially at this time of year.

My sons put on my Royal Marines, Fathers (RAF) and Grandfather (Navy) medals on armistice day, I will get my ‘Granda Mac’ medals and they can display them with great pride.

What does MIC, SWB and FMP mean?

How can I find out the details of where he was transferred to?

Sorry for questions, thank you.

Craig

16 minutes ago, Cubbyno9 said:

What does MIC, SWB and FMP mean?

Apologies, it is all too easy to slip into acronyms once the full term has been used.

MIC = Medal Index Card = a small card showing medal entitlement [Linked to a Medal Roll which was a list of a number of men and their entitlements - The Roll reference is  written next to the medals awarded].

SWB = Silver War Badge - a uniquely numbered lapel badge awarded those medically discharged - as recognition of their service and to stop them being picked upon as a 'shirker' [Not to be confused with SWB (no difference!) which is also often used for the British Army regiment - South Wales Borderers!]

FMP = Find My Past - a genealogical/military research website - main access by financial subscription but some access can often be obtained for free [Like Ancestry which I suspect you might have heard of, but often some different records] - I have earlier outlined possible routes for really cost-effective access!

29 minutes ago, Cubbyno9 said:

How can I find out the details of where he was transferred to?

It's in his Service Record {SR] - at FMP!

Think this clarifies Adam with 7th Bn.

Free 'The History of the 7th Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders' Col. J. W. Sandilands

www.gutenberg.org/files/50301/50301-h/50301-h.htm 

Worth a read.

1.Reference 7th Bn for Adam McINTOSH.png

Edited by BarbaraG

Hi Matlock and Barbara,

Wonderful, thank you. Will print off book and start reading. Amazing that all this paperwork still exists. 

I have been emailing everything to my 14 year old son, he is doing WWI at history at school, means so much more now for him.

Hi Cubbyno9,

His service record indicates that having joined up, Adam was posted from the 8th Battalion to the 7th for overseas service on 30.10.1915. Their war diary is available (after registration) as a free download from here.

image.png.b0246017c43715a19c827c5eaa78e250.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Whilst the record is peppered with some medical admissions, it also shows that for the period 19.5.1916 to 23.7.1916 he was 'attached' to 170 (Tunnelling) Company, Royal Engineers - probably as part of a larger working party. Their war diaries for that period appear to be here and here. None of the diaries are likely to mention Adam by name though.

If you were to come across any map references, there is help on how to read them here.

His attestation sheet is stamped with 'POLITICAL'. There is a bit about what that means here.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Fantastic stuff thanks. I have just had a quick read regarding the 'POLITICAL', very interesting.

I find the '170 (Tunneling) Company' interesting as he was a miner up to the war, changed afterwards. More for me to read up on.

I am so grateful to everyone for the help. Meant to be working offshore but think I will be reading the diaries tomorrow lol thanks buddy.

I am now trying to get details on my Grandfather and my Fathers cousin, who was like a big brother to my Dad, wo sadly died in action in the infamous "Market Garden".

Grandfathers name is 
James Joseph Samuel Campbell Dob 16/10/16 Royal Navy

I have attached a picture of Archie's Gravestone in Holland. I had the honour of visiting it when I worked in Holland about 8 years ago. It was beautifully kept gardens, actually pretty emotional. I had to ask for directions from a family and they thanked me for Archie's sacrifice and said it gave them freedom, jeez I had a tear in my eye, very emotional.

Archie MacLean.JPG

1 hour ago, Cubbyno9 said:

I am now trying to get details on my Grandfather and my Fathers cousin, who was like a big brother to my Dad, wo sadly died in action in the infamous "Market Garden".

Hi Cubby,

Unfortunately the Great War Forum is only about the Great War, 1914-19 {ish} a.k.a. WW1 or First World War

The GWF moderators, in the nicest way, might lock this thread as 'off topic' - likely would if continued onto WW2/1944 - which would a great shame for you {and/or likely others] for the GW stuff/

Before/in case that possibly happen = For WW2 research I suggest you might like to try

WW2Talk at http://ww2talk.com 

And stick here to the GW

Good luck with your search(es)

Edited by Matlock1418
another darned typo corrected!

33 minutes ago, Cubbyno9 said:

Oh I am so sorry.

I happens occasionally for new members - But no problem for me, or most members, if it is occasional - However GWF does like [need?] to keep 'on- topic'

I hope WW2Talk can help you.

Good luck.

Edited by Matlock1418