The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battalions and Batteries of Highland Light Infantry

Darren89

Hi,

Your expertise is greatly welcomed in this enquiry!

An ancestor (Daniel Caldwell- 12789; 470816 Pte.) of mine served with the Highland Light Infantry, I believe his service record was destroyed in WW2, however I have managed to locate his medal card. This indicates he served with both HLI and the Labour Corps.

His father (James Caldwell- S/7003; 120791 Pte.) also served with HLI and thankfully his service record survived. He served with 11th (Service) Battalion, 13th Reserve Battalion, 41st Training Reserve, before being transferred to the Labour Corps on 31.10.1917.

Is there a way to find out which Battalions or Batteries Daniel served with? I have a feeling he was under aged when enlisting and his father enlisted to 'keep an eye on him'!  Therefore Daniel could have served in the same Battalions and Batteries in both HLI and Labour Corps as his father throughout.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Darren

Medal Card of Daniel Caldwell.jpg

30850_A000274-00247.jpg

• Admin

Therefore Daniel could have served in the same Battalions and Batteries in both HLI and Labour Corps as his father throughout.

If so, it would only be luck.

Craig

• Admin

His father (James Caldwell- S/7003; 120791 Pte.) also served with HLI and thankfully his service record survived. He served with 11th (Service) Battalion, 13th Reserve Battalion, 41st Training Reserve, before being transferred to the Labour Corps on 31.10.1917.

James was Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, not HLI.

image.png
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_612057_10709-00127?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=9e9b7b9a4c85a4dd9e469d86aa98fe28&usePUB=true&_phsrc=syT1085&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=1565823

Craig

Helpfully there is a clue on the medal card. That's the date of entry in to theater. 12th May 1915. Only one HLI Battalion entered a theater of operations on that date and that's the 10th (Service) Battalion so it looks a good match to me. Its not certain but its a very good match.

Yours

P

Edited by Polar Bear

Thanks guys. The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were originally called the Highland Light Infantry. Do we know what battles that would have involved for the 10th (Service) Battalion? 

Thanks

Darren 

3 minutes ago, Darren89 said:

Thanks guys. The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were originally called the Highland Light Infantry. Do we know what battles that would have involved for the 10th (Service) Battalion? 

Thanks

Darren 

No. I'm afraid the A&SH were never called the HLI. They are two very separate regiments. As to battles for the 10th (Service) Battalion then The Long, Long Trail (link found at top left on this forum is your friend) but in short it had a long, hard war.

P

• Admin
Just now, Darren89 said:

Would it be possible for me to attach James's service record in this? As I am sure there is references to both A&S and HLI. 

Thanks

Darren 

Please feel free to post the link if you have it.

Craig

I believe that provided you provide your source then there is no problem.

It should also be noted that it was certainly not unusual for soldiers to be shifted between regiments.

P

• Admin

Just looking at his record - he was with the HLI & Seaforth Highlanders for a short period from early/mid 1917 in the UK. After this he was posted to the Labour Corps.

Craig

Thanks Craig, so to confirm, James served mainly with A&S Highlanders from enlisting in December 1914 to 1917? Then a short spell with HLI in 1917 before transferring to the Labour Corps in October 1917?

The 11th (Service) Battalion 13th Reserve Battalion and 41st Training Reserve was that all with the A&S Highlanders?

Thanks so much for you help guys!

Darren

• Admin

Then a short spell with HLI in 1917 before transferring to the Labour Corps in October 1917?

A short spell in 1917 with the HLI, then the Seaforth's, then the Labour Corps.

Craig