Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals and Decorations

Ted Kovacs

Hello . I am new here  and am wondering where and how would I be able to retrieve any medals that my grandfather  had from WW1  from what i am seeing he had the British War Medals and Victory medals  both of which i have no idea what they look like . He also was awarded to wear 3 blue chevrons ,which i know is one for each year served.  He was wounded in the final battle for Ypres ( Paschendaele ) and lost his right leg just below the knee.  Someone either stole the originals or the were paused off .Any help  in finding exactly what medals he would have been awarded would be appreciated 

Posting his name, number, & unit (if known) & any other info you might have on him would assist mates in assisting you  Ted.

My Grandfathers name is Wilfred Holingbeck ( aka Hagerback) Regimental Number 127550  Unit 1 D.D. Rank Pte. Hopefully  together we can find exactly what medals he had. Thank you in advance

Yes that would be correct with when he left Canada as he signed on October 30 ,1915 and shipped out about March 31 from what i can make out on his attestation papers. So what are the A and B badge. As i first stated i am new  here and trying to get as much information on him as I can. I do have his Class A Badge . How would I  be able to get the Class B Badge along with his BMW and Victory medals ?

1 hour ago, Ted Kovacs said:

So what are the A and B badge.

First, check the link I gave you in the post above. I'm not too familiar with the class A badge (that's not one we have in the UK), but the class B is the same as our Silver War badge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_War_Badge

Each one has a unique number on the back that allows you to identify the recipient.

1 hour ago, Ted Kovacs said:

I do have his Class A Badge . How would I  be able to get the Class B Badge along with his BMW and Victory medals ?

The first thing to do is check with your extended family to see if it's in anyone else's possession. If you have one, just possibly the rest are still around somewhere.

On 12/11/2020 at 14:17, Neil 2242 said:

Hi Ted / Neil / everyone,

Very interesting [the link is especially helpful] - have never come across these badges before [then again I do mainly look at British forces - and yet I do have a few CEF of interest] - there appeared to be no Canadian nationality requirement - just primarily service with the CEF.

1. Do you know if there are any rolls/lists of badge recipients? [i.e. other than annotations in Service Records]
  2. If so, where found?
  3. Did a man have to apply for a badge? [or were they sent out automatically?]

There was a Badge C too it would seem - I have a man who served 1918/19 [but only in Canada & UK - so obviously no campaign medals Edit: have been corrected on this - he'd have got at BWM ] - At first I thought he may have qualified for Badge C as he: 'served with pay for an aggregate period not less than three months and had been retired or honourably discharged' - but no note on his file.

However, having checked the notes on the website I think the fly in the ointment for him probably was that he did not meet the following: 'who resided in Canada on the 4th of August 1914, and who returned to reside in Canada' [he was living in the USA prior to enlistment and returned there after demobilisation].

I have probably answered the second part of my enquiries - but would like to know more generally about the first part please.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo & later strikethrough correction

I am positive that I am the only one with his Class A Badge . I am needing to find  a Class B Badge to complete all his medals as I have just purchased the BWM and Victory Medals. I did check the link out , but can't find where  to purchase the CalaaB Badge

Morning Old Sweats . I myself only just learned of the Class A and Class B Badges . I have my grandfathers Class A Badge and just put an offer on a Class B Badge. You can find both on E Bay Unless there is someone on here  who would like to part with one or both badges .As for his Medals I have purchased a set of both  the BWM and Victory medals . Once I have the Cp\lass B badge  that will complete his set along with his attestation papers and manifest

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

There was a Badge C too it would seem - I have a man who served 1918/19 [but only in Canada & UK - so obviously no campaign medals...

If he left Canada & only served in UK he would have been entitled to the War medal only.

Edited by RNCVR

8 hours ago, RNCVR said:

If he left Canada & only served in UK he would have been entitled to the War medal only.

Oh!  Thanks for that - my mistake.  No sign of it mind.

I note your location :-) = He and his two ex-pat brothers enlisted in Ontario, in London and Lindsay respectively - all survived the war, but unfortunately not all A1 100% OK :-(  They went on to have pretty complete lives though :-)

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typos

Yes Matlock, ON is a very large Province, I am in the southern part & even here its starting to get quite cold as we are entering our famous Canadian winter!  Lindsay is approx a 1 1\2 hr drive southwest of me, London would be at least a 5 hr drive west.

London is a beautiful city especially in summer months, the Shakespere Festival is held there in normal times.

The CEF Class A & B badges can be checked, I know a collector researcher in Ottawa (3 hr drive noreast from me), I think he is still alive, send me a Pm & I will try to find his email address for you, if anyone can assist you he can.

Also there is a Canadian collector (ex RCN like myself) out in BC (Victoria) who specializes in Canadian Memorial crosses & CEF war badges, but i dont have an address for him.  But he is on the British Medals Forum, you could join that forum & place an advert on there, if that is permitted for a new joiner, that forum has very very restrictive "rules", you would have to wade thru them to determine that.

Best wishes,

Bryan

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:
  • Do you know if there are any rolls/lists of badge recipients? [i.e. other than annotations in Service Records]
  • If so, where found?
  • Did a man have to apply for a badge? [or were they sent out automatically?]

I'd be interested to know the answers too!

Never come across any lists of SWB recipients other than UK, not sure what that proves mind....