Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister J G Younger

adrian 1008

Can anybody assist with the above, I have a BWM and VM to this Nurse ( I assume) but have drawn a blank with any further identification

• Admin

Having looked at British Army Nurse records via TNA, VAD records from the Red Cross, Australian and Canadian personnel records and FMP I cannot help any further.

Any other clues, pictures?

I offer this as a possible candidate.

In the 1911 Census for Scotland there was a Hospital Sister named Jessie G Younger. Aged 26 and single. She was working at the Glasgow Western Infirmary.

Someone of that name married a Gavin Hildick-Smith in South Africa. According to a family history website "Jessie Gray Younger joined the First World War effort as a nurse and went to German West Africa to serve". She met Gavin there, fell in love and stayed on to marry.

Further research needed!

Martin

Looks promising!

Here's the marriage in Johannesburg 28th July 1915

Her death was registered in Tonbridge in 1977.  Date of birth 27/5/1884.

younger.jpg

Edited by IPT

thats very interesting, the medals came from a dealer on the scottish borders ! I assume the BWM and VM would be for war service in S Africa

an earlier suggestion suggests a DOB of 1884

would service in W Africa earn the BWM & VM ?

Apologies, I misread your post and thought you were referring to the Boer War!

My understanding is that she would heave had to have served in a theatre of war, which I think would mean German South West Africa, France and Belgium, German East Africa or Palestine?

Edited by IPT

On 11/11/2020 at 18:41, adrian 1008 said:

Can anybody assist with the above, I have a BWM and VM to this Nurse ( I assume) but have drawn a blank with any further identification

Each nation issued its own version of the Victory Medal. Was this medal issued by Britain or South Africa? Does it have a bi-lingual inscription on the reverse? Her details might be in the South African archives.

Martin

I cant believe how unobservant I have been !

The reverse of the VM is in English and Afrikaans. They arrived stapled to a piece of card and Only now have i looked at the it closely 

Thank you martin....... Now S African archives where do i go

!

Just to update colleagues. I have written to the South African authorities. I have also followed the Hildick Smith family, it appears from a family website Jessie wrote a comprehensive diary of her service in Africa, A descendant  is a Snr Dr in the NHS, I have written to him asking to be put in touch with any part of the family who can assist further and offered to return the medals to the family should they wish. I have also made clear the tremendous support given by the forum, which has progressed this .