Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map help please

tinax

I have the coordinates from the war diaries of my g.grandads Battalion of an operation carried out 15th July 1916, where I believe he lost his life. I know it's the upper right quadrant of 5, but if if someone could get it more accurate I'd be very grateful. Many thanks

Diary entry says "line X5B10-42"

Trench map pozieres.pdf

Welcome to the forum.  This should be within 25 square yards (plus a margin of error).  Note the Google Street View is from the nearest road (south of your coordinate of interest).  Your point is marked on the map and is 50.041499, 2.737543, midway between the Google Street View car and the windmill (clump of trees on the horizon).  Click on the image for a larger version.

image.png.5e46bec68f228ee431ffdc62085baec5.png
Courtesy tMapper and National Library of Scotland

Thank you both, it's very much appreciated. Looking further it seems the coordinates are for the point that they were ordered to bomb up to (1200yrds of trench). They had fought the previous day at Bezentin Le Petit Wood and Batallion Headquaters had moved to Mametz Wood, so presume they would have come from this direction. They managed to get 150yrds then 400yrds but had to retreat due to machine gun fire from the trench and then their own artillery fire. So looking at the maps you have both added, if I follow the trench down 650yrds-1200yrds from the point on the top map, this would give me a good idea of where the casualities fell.

Edited by tinax

Hi tinax, Pozieres in 1916 was changing daily so not quite that simple.  Post his name and unit and we have a better chance of assisting.  Alternatively, post an extract of the war diary stating where they were (ie how did you arrive at the grid reference in post #1)?