Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1231 Pte Harry Widdowson

giff

I’ve recently purchased a trio to Pte Harry Widdowson who I believe was originally in the 1/6 Notts & Derby regt. I’ve managed to find a few bits including his MIC and that he may have been wounded by shrapnel but little else really. Any other information on this chap would be gratefully received thanks. His medal card lists about four different regiments he seems to have been in.

B.1892

20/9/1917 admitted to 139th Field Ambulance suffering Shrapnel wound to the back. At the time he was serving with 17th Battalion (Sherwood Foresters) Notts + Derby.

Your thread might attract an expert if you ask for it to be moved to the  "Soldiers and their units" thread.

Greetings from the hideout

Believe it of not I sold his identity discs which I owned for years LAST WEEK to a Nottingham dealer . I think that they are now on his web site. 

Old Robin Hood

45 minutes ago, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

Believe it of not I sold his identity discs which I owned for years LAST WEEK to a Nottingham dealer . I think that they are now on his web site. 

Old Robin Hood

It's a very small world.

Re posting this after I mistakenly posted in the wrong forum.

Im hoping to find out about this chap who’s medals I’ve recently purchased and also thanks to Old Robin Hood hopefully his identity discs also. He seems to have started off in the 1/6 Notts & Derby but On his MIC it shows five different units he served with. I assume his records are lost as I cannot find any on Ancestry. I know he was wounded by shrapnel in 1917 but if anyone can add anything to this chaps history it would be most welcome.  Thanks 

The BW and VM medal roll contains quite a bit

1/6 Sherwood For. att VII Corps HQ

298 Company RE

17th Sherwood For.

7th Sherwood For.

62nd MGC

Both his rolls are under Royal Fusiliers

I can put him with the 17th Sherwoods on 20/9/1917. Admitted 139 Fld. Amb. with what looks like a wound to his back

He was with MGC by 30/8/1918 as he appears in War Office Daily List No.5657 as wounded on that date

Edited by Mark1959

13 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Threads merged.

Craig

Craig. Could it perhaps be moved to Soldiers where it might attract more attention?

Edited by GWF1967

23 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Craig. Could it perhaps be moved to Soldiers where it might attract more attention?

It should have moved ! I'll try it again.

Craig

35 minutes ago, giff said:

Managed to secure the ID tags, thanks for letting me know and nice to see them along side the medals 

Great news. A timely post by Old Robin Hood. 

16 hours ago, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

Old Robin Hood

Thanks for the tip off. Managed to secure the discs so will soon be reunited. Many Thanks for that.

Greetings from the cave outside Nottingham.

Giff

Very pleased that you got the discs. It is great that they are now where they should be. I had kept them for many years

in the hope that the medals would one day turn up. Hope that you enjoy owning them.

Robin