Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Batt DCLI, Richard Spurr

Tankie88

• Admin

Please can you give a bit more information, which 9th Battalion. Where did he come from, when born etc. The members are very good at helping, but they do need some information to start from.

Michelle 

• Michelle Young changed the title to 9th Batt DCLI, Richard Spurr
  • Admin

I have changed the title from 9th Batt, to now include more information.

He was discharged permanently unit on 14/7/16 due to DAH - Disorderly Action of the Heart. A condition, according to his discharge papers, that existed before his service. He had served 1 year 245 days. Findmypast have copies of the docs, He gives an address in Tuckingmill, Camborne. There are census records for Richard Spurr in the same street in 1891 and 1901, Not found in 1911 yet.

There is no indication in the docs of service overseas.

Actually born in 1890. He died in New Zealand on 13/9/1953. His gravestone has his service number on. He is buried in Waihi Cemetery. There is a marriage for a Richard Spurr in NZ in 1922 which might be him. ,

Thanks for that Mark.I have most of that info.I was more interested in what he did and where.I managed to get info from find my past last evening.As they are free until the 11th of Nov.

The LLT says of the 9th

9th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Falmouth on 29 October 1914 as Service Battalion of K4 and came under command of 103rd Brigade, original 34th Division.
10 April 1915 : became Reserve battalion. Moved to Wareham.

Looking at the discharge docs it looks as though his service starts late 1914. It is also noted he was discharged from Wareham. No Medal Index Card I can find. So looks as if he had a quiet war in the UK. Probably due to his dodgy health

spurr.jpeg.867bf2875d4a7089150b7c324d3eef45.jpeg

Edited by Mark1959

23 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

The LLT says of the 9th

9th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Falmouth on 29 October 1914 as Service Battalion of K4 and came under command of 103rd Brigade, original 34th Division.
10 April 1915 : became Reserve battalion. Moved to Wareham.

Looking at the discharge docs it looks as though his service starts late 1914. It is also noted he was discharged from Wareham. No Medal Index Card I can find. So looks as if he had a quiet war in the UK. Probably due to his dodgy health

spurr.jpeg.867bf2875d4a7089150b7c324d3eef45.jpeg

I have that pic.I am in contact with his daughter.Who is my 3rd cousin.She has the same info as me.