Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Form - Active Service

Iainwinney

I'm researching my Great Uncle who served it the 84th MGC in Salonika. I'm struggling to read the inscription I have ringed. 5.5.17  85th Field Ambulance "Admitted" ? 

Hopefully your more experienced researchers may be able to throw some light on the words and their meaning.

Thanks in advance.

struggle.jpg

Some form of Otitis Media - middle ear infection ?

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to work out what  the handwritten words are in the form below. It's the words in the 3rd column for the report dates 7-6-18 and 12-10-18. They look like they could be short for 'admitted' . The f.a. abbreviations to the right of them could be field ambulance possibly? If my assumptions are correct and there is no description of the actual issue, could they be related to him being wounded in action in the line above - or additional instances of being wounded in action?  Thanks in anticipation, Pete

image.png.5d1dfc3c1f9fec036c96cd8f38ea703c.png

Edited by stroudpete

• Admin
2 hours ago, stroudpete said:

It's the words in the 3rd column for the report dates 7-6-18 and 12-10-18. They look like they could be short for 'admitted' . The f.a. abbreviations to the right of them could be field ambulance possibly? If my assumptions are correct and there is no description of the actual issue, could they be related to him being wounded in action in the line above

Elsewhere in his record it states he was wounded in the back and it became infected.  He also claimed to be suffering from recurrent bouts of malaria.

Yes, F.A. is the common abbrerviation for Field Ambulance so the entry reads:-

On the 7th June 1918 the officer commanding his unit reported that he had been admitted to the Field Ambulance the previous day, the 6th June.  The reason is not specified.  No Discharge date is shown so it seems likely he remained at duty after treatment. He does not appear to have moved further up the casualty evacuation chain.

On the 12th October the DGRS (?) reported he had again been admitted to the Field Ambulance on the 6th October. He was discharged and on the 13th October the OC of his Unit reported he rejoined his unit on the 8th.

These shorter stays could have been to treat the reported infection to his wound or for fever as a consequence of malaria. Your guess is as good as anyone else. 

It does however seem unlikely that two days with the Field Ambulance in October was related to his slight wound on on the 2nd May 1918 as he apparently remained on duty throughout this period.  I do not know what DGRS means (an artillery expert may know) but it is possible he did not return to the battery.

Thanks Ken48,

That matches with my thinking. I know he suffered with frequent bouts of malaria and I think they are most likely to be the reasons for his treatment. I'm interested how you know that his wound was in his back and that it was 'slight'. I couldn't find any other reference to this apart from it stating that he was wounded in action. 

Pete