Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post-war vernacular

Jano

I do know that I'm pushing it here, but can anyone tell me please, how a young returned solder in south suburban working class London would refer to his friends man-to-man? Might it have been pal, chum...? (Look, I said I was pushing it!)

I might as well push it further. What would he have called his parents? Mum and Dad? Any direction/information would be appreciated!

I do know that I'm pushing it here, but can anyone tell me please, how a young returned solder in south suburban working class London would refer to his friends man-to-man? Might it have been pal, chum...? (Look, I said I was pushing it!)

I might as well push it further. What would he have called his parents? Mum and Dad? Any direction/information would be appreciated!

The terms "working class" and "south London" are quite broad. The more "suburban" you got the more "genteel" you went.

However, IMHO a young returned solder in south suburban working class London would probably refer to his friend as "Mate" or even as his "China" - (china plate = mate in Cockney rhyming slang).

For his parents, in public, you could get away with "Mum and Dad", or "Ma and Pa". Definately not "Mummy and Daddy" (baby-ish) or "Mater and Pater" ( 'stuck up'. )

I had the great privilege of a close acquaintance with a South Londoner who had served in the Great War. He referred to his mother and father . Especially when he was telling how he had to persuade them to sign his papers. He referred to his mates when talking of his comrades. He was an unskilled worker when he enlisted. Incidentally, to my Scottish ear, it sounded like " muvva and fahva, and mites." Long gone and still fondly remembered.

Now we know where Dick Van Dyke got the idea from :D

When I lived in the south I didn't think that I had an accent at all.

Now that I live "up north" everyone thinks I am a Londoner, although I am not. The thing that people have picked up on is the way that I say "Well", which sounds to them like "Wew"

Beppo "Only Cockney in the Village" Sapone

Thank you both very much! I had been hesitant to use the word "mates" in my writing although it tripped most easily from my antipodean fingers. Thanks again!

Now that I live "up north" everyone thinks I am a Londoner, although I am not.

Beppo

As I understand things, you originate from south of Stoke on Trent, but are not a Brummie. Therefore, of course, you're a Londoner.

John The Regionalist