Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lord Kitchener visits the Italian front. Help wanted for place and time, please.

GreyC

Hi,

got this photo recently. According to the writing on the back it shows Lord Kitchener visiting the Italian front. Can any of you tell me where and when this photo was taken (and any other information pertaining to this event), please?

Thank you!

GreyC

x03112020026.jpg.46631e209464f5caf85dbb4ed1e96937.jpg

The photo can be found on the internet here;

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/DAE-BA041346

It is captioned;

Lord Kitchener visiting the Italian Headquarters: Left Colonel Pennella, General Diaz, Lord Kitchener, General Cadorna, Italy, World War I, from L'Illustrazione Italiana, Year XLII, No 51, December 19, 1915

Hi,

thank you michaeldr! After Butler´s post I did a bit of online research around the photo and found the link you kindly posted.

Interestingly you can see the then chief of staff of the Italian Army, General Cadorna and his successor from 9th Nov. 1917 on, General Diaz, who like his predecessor was to become a Marshall of the Italian Army.General Cadorna was blamed for a heavy defeat, that almost lead to a breakthrough of the Italian Isonzo-front by the German/Austrian forces. Cadorna wrote his autobiography/memoirs, I wonder if he wrote something about Kitchener. Cadorna seems to have visited London in 1916.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

If that's the Italian HQ in WW1, it's in Udine, my hometown. The General HQ was located in the "Liceo Stellini" in Piazza Primo Maggio. There were 42 military buildings scattered across the city that was nicknamed The War Capital.

Cadorna used to reside in Palazzo Belgrado in Piazza Patriarcato, a short walk from the General HQ

Happy to help, WW1 in Italy is now forgotten due to it being one of the catalysts of the fascist regime and fought only in the North East. 

My great aunt lived in a village, Pozzuolo del Friuli, where a crucial battle was fought during the Italian retreat. She had Alzheimer but would always remember the six cannons that were left in her backyard, must have been hell (in every sense) of a memory not to be forgotten.