Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spotted this morning ...

F100D

Just wanted to share this scene I unexpectedly witnessed this morning. Out of the blue, this lady performed the Reveille and then the Last Post in Brussels (Evere) Town Cemetery, Belgium. Deeply moving... Thank you, Madam, for a short but great moment!

F100D

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (75).JPG

Absolutely great. F100, thanks for posting that. I'd love to know what the story is, especially as she appears to be playing a hunting horn.

Pete.

2 hours ago, F100D said:

Just wanted to share this scene I unexpectedly witnessed this morning. Out of the blue, this lady performed the Reveille and then the Last Post in Brussels (Evere) Town Cemetery, Belgium. Deeply moving... Thank you, Madam, for a short but great moment!

Thanks for sharing.

Very well done that lady.

:-)  :-)  :-) 

:-) M

Thanks for sharing this. So heartwarming!! 

M;

Looking more closely at the tables set up either side of the Cross I'm wondering if this was a rehearsal for an event later in the month? It's really intriguing.

Pete.

Fattyowls, Matlock, Marilyne,

Thanks for your comments. The lady in question was playing a shortish, round instrument which produced a very beautiful and deep sound. She was filmed by somebody from

England (don't know where) and the short video will certainly be posted on YouTube at a later date, so they told me.

Best regards.  F100D

From what I could see, a ceremony of some kind took place here very recently (graves with flowers, lots of candles, &c.). but November 11 will be the Big Day, organised as it is every year by the Brussels RBL Branch. Will try to attend and post photos.

F100D

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (45).JPG

Appreciated.

Pete.

CORRECTION: No events shall be organised here due to you-know-what but the RBL did set up a pre-Remembrance ceremony on 3 October and that's it.

G'day.

F100D

Thanks F100D, stay safe.

Pete.

Wow. Must have been very special, with so few people around.

Roel

Yes, Roel, totally out of the blue and just the three of us...  though I suspect this was not an isolated case all along the old Western Front and even beyond.

Stay safe, boy.

F100D

On 03/11/2020 at 16:16, Fattyowls said:

she appears to be playing a hunting horn.

Pete.

A friend attended his local memorial this morning, where the Last Post was played on a saxophone.

A saxo, why not. Anything (or almost anything) will do: bagpipes, cello, violin, &c. - what's important is the act of remembering.

We're presently living through very frustrating times and of course we all hope this will end in a foreseeable future but I have my doubts ...

Anyway, let's face it with sangfroid and courage and, like in 1914, march breast forward!

... Some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad, othe things just make you swear and curse ... (dear old Pythons were so right!) 

F100D