Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German plot in Brussels (Evere) Town Cemetery

F100D

Hi all,

Despite the Covid restrictions also applying here  :wacko:, I visited this morning the German plot in my home town's largest cemetery.

VDK hasn't got a lot to tell about it and sadly the register was missing... For those of you wanting to take a look at it, the location is known as Pelouse/Perk 11 and the GPS location is 50° 51 51N, 04° 25 02E. It is the final resting place of some 1,180 men (and one woman) who died of wounds received on the Yser/Ijzer front from 1914-19, and possibly other actions too. I take it AOK4 and Egbert might be able to supply further info on this.

Cheers.

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (33).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (5).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (10).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (11).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (12).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (15).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (23).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (27).JPG

AA Evere German and Brit. 3 No. 2020 (26).JPG

Hello,

Nice pics (is it not forbidden to take pictures at this cemetery?).

I should look up some things, but I believe there are some civilian graves there as well from German expats from that period.

Jan

Thanks Jan. In theory, yes, but nobody seems to care about that! Methink that stupid law should be repealed, and quick ...

Looking forward to further info from you. 

Cheers.

Very nice autumn pics. 

It is indeed forbidden to take pictures at the cemetery of Evere. That's a decision that belongs to the city council and has to do with the right of privacy of their "guests"... well more their families. This being said, as long as the pictures are for personal use, it should be OK. One should just avoid to featuring Mr X's grandpa's tombstone on the jacket of one's death metal band's CD without the family's authorization! 

I visited the Commonwealth part a few years ago (was working in Evere at the time) because I had a specific request for pictures coming from Australia. I went to see one of the guardians there with copy of the request, who told me that as long as I stuck to the military side of the cemetery, it was OK for me to make the pictures. He explained me the case and the distinction above... they also had cases of youngsters coming to the cemetery after school just for pictures and that's just not right. Hence the interdiction. But my fingers were itching when I walked those overgrown aisles of century old graves... from an architectural point of view, simply beautiful !  

M.

Maryline,

I do agree with you - Evere is an amazing place to visit in any season. 

I fully understand the point of view of the Ville de Bruxelles; I think that photographing civilian graves in any cemetery is best left to photographers granted an official (or otherwise) authorisation to do so. 

By the way, how is your research into women of the Great War going? I thoroughly enjoyed all your posts on those ladies buried in F & B. That evidently involved a lot of 'sleuthing' and this is to your eternal credit. Continue sur ta lancée, on attend la suite avec impatience!

All the best and say hello to Bear.

F100D

Sorry, mispelt your name. Apologies ...

No prob. 

My research project has been shelved for the time being, as I am currently following a one year course and have to write a number of papers for that... 

"La suite" will be the pics of Etaples that I made in july, having already done the research end of last year. 

But research will have to wait the end of the "3é Cirque" !! 

M.