Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander MacMillan Argylls MM & Cross of St George

Joseph McMillan

My uncle Alexander McMillan,regimental number 53 1st.battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders was awarded the Military Medal and The Serbian Cross [ Cross of Karageorge 1st.Class With Swords ] During WWI

I have no information as to what acts of gallantry he performed to obtain them and am hoping that you may be able to assist

Kindest regards,

Joe McMillan,

South Australia

5 hours ago, Joseph McMillan said:

My uncle Alexander McMillan,regimental number 53 1st.battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders was awarded the Military Medal and The Serbian Cross [ Cross of Karageorge 1st.Class With Swords ] During WWI

I have no information as to what acts of gallantry he performed to obtain them and am hoping that you may be able to assist

Kindest regards,

Joe McMillan,

South Australia

Greetings Joe,

Your uncle. Alexander has two MICs which are free to read on "IWM Lives".  In brief, one shows 15 Star, BWM and BVM followed by a SWB and the second shows the MM for service in Salonika and a London Gazette (LG) entry of 20 Aug 19.  The LG entry adds nothing other than he enlisted in Dumbarton so best bet is probably a local newspaper entry from around there.  The Cross of Karageorge, 1st Class (with Swords)  - on the back it reads (translated) "For Bravery" - came first with an LG entry 15 Feb 17 and Edinburgh Gazette entry of 19 Feb 17.  I'm guessing this first award relates to the actual deed that merited his belated award of  the MM recorded in the 1919 "Peace Gazette" 

There is quite a bit of detail on GWF regarding this Serbian medal that may be of interest.

Regards Ian. 

..........pretty sure the mods will shortly intervene to split this post ........

Edited by TullochArd

7 hours ago, Joseph McMillan said:

Kindest regards,

Joe McMillan,

South Australia

Sorry Joe. , I have no access to Military Records , but some kind people on this Forum helped me out. Now that your query is here , I’m sure that someone will be of assistance to you 

• Admin
2 hours ago, TullochArd said:

pretty sure the mods will shortly intervene to split this post ........

For clarification and to avoid unnecessary duplication this soldier was previously discussed  in the context of a gallantry card and the OP was advised to repost in the Medals  sub-forum.

The original topic is locked

I had directed Joe to “Medals” so that the experts could advise him on how to possibly locate the missing medals.

Could you give him a list of auction houses, magazines, medal dealers, ebay etc where he might scan to find them.

Regards,

JMB

• Admin

Also previously discussed here

His is the only SALONIKA award to the A&S Highlanders in the LG of 20 August 1919, so his MM is probably for a prior individual act of bravery, perhaps, as TullochArd has said: "The Cross of Karageorge, 1st Class (with Swords)  - on the back it reads (translated) "For Bravery" - came first with an LG entry 15 Feb 1917.  I'm guessing this first award relates to the actual deed that merited his belated award of  the MM recorded in the 1919 Peace Gazette". 

The assault on the villages of Karajakoi Zir and Karajaloi Bala took place on 30 September 1916. It could be connected to that.

2 soldiers from the 2nd Battalion Cameron Highlanders got Salonika MMs in the same Gazette: 5112 Cpl. Allan Cameron and 8910 L/Cpl. William Manclark. The registered paper ref. no. 68/121/922 was the same for all 3 MMs, but there are no schedule numbers on the MM Index cards. Without a possible entry in the WD or a Reg. history it is hard to be more specific.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 17.51.46.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson