Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France - covid restrictions 30/10/20 onwards (?)

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

So, if you are travelling from the UK there is no restriction on entering France - and whilst there you can travel for the purpose of working without restriction to length of time that you work for ? Hard to read the regs' otherwise.

Any constructive and reasoned comments ?

Tom

14 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/

So, if you are travelling from the UK there is no restriction on entering France - and whilst there you can travel for the purpose of working without restriction to length of time that you work for ? Hard to read the regs' otherwise.

Any constructive and reasoned comments ?

Tom

I haven't seen anything about tourists, but if I imagine that if you don't have some piece of paper confirming that you are travelling around for business purposes your bank balance will become much lighter.

I doubt that anyone would accept that visiting war sites is 'business'.

1 hour ago, healdav said:

I haven't seen anything about tourists, but if I imagine that if you don't have some piece of paper confirming that you are travelling around for business purposes your bank balance will become much lighter.

I doubt that anyone would accept that visiting war sites is 'business'.

Perhaps researching for a family may count?

Tony

Just now, KIRKY said:

Tony

Please note I have no intention of going over until its safe to do so.

Tony

Seems clear enough.....

1. If you are arriving from a country on the list below, you can enter metropolitan France without any COVID-19-related restrictions or paperwork.

Member States of the European Union, Andorra, the Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland,and the United Kingdom.

But....

If you are arriving from a country on the list below, you will have to undergo confinement, as announced by the French President on 28 October:

Member States of the European Union, Andorra, the Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

So ok to visit from UK, but have to isolate once in France ?.... and for how long ?

All this is kind of mute though, as it looks like the UK has another national lockdown coming in a few days....

Edited by slick63

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

All rather academic now.

Non essential travel in England is banned from Thursday.

I'm afraid I'm not following the possible "logic" of this at all. If its been deemed that non-essential(*) travel in the UK isn't to be allowed then why is that regulation not being imposed for five more days - why not midnight Sunday, say ? - If the dam is leaking then you start plugging the hole straight away - surely ? - And (*) what constitutes non-essential ? 

"essential; adjective; 1. absolutely necessary; extremely important." I know people who regard having their nails done or playing golf as "essential" components of their lives.

So, will travelling for the purpose of one's work (when doing that work at home is not possible) be allowable during November - in England(*) and France ? (* I deliberately refer to England rather than the UK).  It appears to me that we are in this quagmire as a result of poor and indecisive governance and enforcement - so even at this moment this remains a serious question - "... will travelling for the purpose of one's work ..." etc.

Tom

21 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Tony

Please note I have no intention of going over until its safe to do so.

Tony

More than unlikely. Given that the French people as a whole can only go out for an hour a day, either for exercise or to go to the shops that are open, research will not get much sympathy.

13 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

why is that regulation not being imposed for five more days - why not midnight Sunday, say ? 

Because it needs to be debated and voted on by Parliament. MPs complained that it was imposed in March. 

Bearing in mind we shouldn't have known anything about this until Monday, you could blame the media for the extended notice period.

11 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Because it needs to be debated and voted on by Parliament. MPs complained that it was imposed in March. 

Bearing in mind we shouldn't have known anything about this until Monday, you could blame the media for the extended notice period.

At least, there are some decent people in the cabinet, No 10, the Government who are actually Thinking about other people and warning the news people, as they know that it will be leaked out to the country.  

The Welsh First Minister, when announcing Wales' Firebreak was promptly slagged off by the London tabloids, particularly in the comments sections of the Daily Mail and Express.

I am no political affiliate of Mark Drakeford and the Health Minister Vaughan Gething but they like all other governments been dealt the most rotten of hands. Drakeford  and Getting have however  dealt with the crisis cautiously, fairly and in a lucid, transparent manner.

Drakeford's words in response to press questions about the Firebreak such as "Why can't we buy hairdriers?", "Why can't we have acid house raves?" was to the effect of "Stop banging on about what you can or can't do, think about what you should do".

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

11 hours ago, healdav said:

More than unlikely. Given that the French people as a whole can only go out for an hour a day, either for exercise or to go to the shops that are open, research will not get much sympathy.

According to the French Government website that is not correct >

>

Starting 30 October 2020 new lockdown measures are established for four weeks in metropolitan France and Martinique. You may only leave your residency in the following circumstances and with an exemption certificate:
 Commuting to and from work or university and training place

>

etc etc etc.

With regards to "... research will not get much sympathy. ..." - that's an interesting opinion, but I'm afraid that Law does not rest upon opinion. The French Government website says "Commuting to and from work or ..." - so if your (remunerated) work is research and that research involves, say, visiting cemeteries in France - then QED - yes / no ?

Tom

11 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

According to the French Government website that is not correct >

>

Starting 30 October 2020 new lockdown measures are established for four weeks in metropolitan France and Martinique. You may only leave your residency in the following circumstances and with an exemption certificate:
 Commuting to and from work or university and training place

>

etc etc etc.

With regards to "... research will not get much sympathy. ..." - that's an interesting opinion, but I'm afraid that Law does not rest upon opinion. The French Government website says "Commuting to and from work or ..." - so if your (remunerated) work is research and that research involves, say, visiting cemeteries in France - then QED - yes / no ?

Tom

Then you will have to produce an official piece of paper saying exactly what you are doing, and you will only be able to use it to go from X to wherever you are doing the research. Blithely announcing that you are touring the cemeteries trying to find someone called Smith will not be accepted. It is intended to help university students and others tom keep going with their theses, etc.

The last time, roads were being patrolled by police, Gendarmerie, CRS, Customs and anyone else who had a uniform (depending on what was available where). People with no certificate were heavily fined. I think you will find that "I'm British and looking for my uncle" was not acceptable. And the fines were/are heavy.