Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help locating a "pair" to 2/23rd London regiment.

20th Division

Wonder if anyone can offer advice on trying to locate a "pair" issued to 703623.Pt. W.Sealey. 2/23rd Londons please?  Is there an advertising system anywhere? I put ads  in "Medal News" plus some other outlets years ago, but had no luck. I'm still trying to locate my great uncle's pair but I expect there must be tens of thousands of  medals out there being sought for repatriation to families, so I'm not very optimistic. Thanks." Downhearted Dave".

13 minutes ago, 20th Division said:

Wonder if anyone can offer advice on trying to locate a "pair" issued to 703623.Pt. W.Sealey. 2/23rd Londons please?  Is there an advertising system anywhere? I put ads  in "Medal News" plus some other outlets years ago, but had no luck. I'm still trying to locate my great uncle's pair but I expect there must be tens of thousands of  medals out there being sought for repatriation to families, so I'm not very optimistic. Thanks." Downhearted Dave".

There are some top tips in the above thread. 

Best of luck. 

Thanks for this info. I will certainly look into the Medal Forum. sounds a good bet and perhaps there is a London Regiment medal collector out there who can help.

#    GOOD TIP---THANK YOU.

I have placed a  permanent ad with Token publishing medal finder some years ago( only cost a fiver if I remember, not sure if the ad is still active, I don't subscribe to this mag' any more I'm afraid--even though I have an active  interest in Napoleonic medals). I  also have an alert  on ebay.

Agree--not a lot more you can do really. Thanks again for the Medal Forum tip via the link. Regards. Dave. 

British Army Ancestors is another possibility, and I'll add the details at the end of this post. There are pros and cons with the British Medal Forum. The positive is that you have an audience of medal collectors. The other is that, in the event of your family members medals appearing in an auction catalogue, any member performing a search of that forum based on surname and service number/ rank will come across your post. 

The BMF is a private forum. Persons on that thread who have spent a lot of money on medals can talk freely about what they have. If this were a public forum, they could be identified, tracked, and targeted for a burglary. The negative is that your post, seeking medals, does not appear on search engine results and is only available to British Medal Forum members.

I did get the impression that the medal news ad will exist for many decades. One other means of placing an ad, and it being in the public domain, so it appears in search engine results, is the find-a-medal page on British Army Ancestors
https://britisharmyancestors.co.uk/find-a-medal-medals-sought/

4 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

If this were a public forum, they could be identified, tracked, and targeted for a burglary.

Er, like this one?  Could you explain to me how I could track your name, address and shoe size?

Mike, if you want to know why the British Medal Forum is a private forum, you will have to contact their site admins. It had been my understanding that the privacy was linked to a policy of not making public who had accumulated expensive collections of high worth. If an individual uses a forum, utilises their own name, has the same icon on a forum and on other social media, that person's identity and location could potentially be narrowed down by persons with questionable motives. It was my understanding that in days gone by you had to be vouched for by an existing member to join the BMF, but I do not believe that to be the case in the here and now.

With a view to getting back to something approaching the topic, have you ever had people coming to you as a bookseller, looking to locate a vanity press highly limited edition? Granted, it's not the same as medals that are unique, but it's the nearest to a parallel that I could envisage. 

Thanks Keith for the  info. Fingers crossed for a result from my searches.   Regards. Dave.