Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Acting Capt William Carroll MC, 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment KIA May 2017

AJT

Just wanted to say thank you to the following, for all their help in tracking down Bill's history:

@alf mcm

@PRC

@Dave66

@David_Underdown

@HarryBrook

@Ivor Anderson

I now have a pretty comprehensive view of his military service, from signing on in 1898 to being KIA in May 1917. And @Ivor Anderson the RIR Military History was a great find! How did you find that?

I'm now going to set about trying to find the service record of my Great Uncle Tom - William's older brother who is mentioned in the 1917 Probate Calendar as his Executor - but as he was a Private with a very common name, I might not be so lucky!

Thanks again to you all!

I have the 1st Battalion RIR History book and just looked up the index. :) TBC's name, regiment & service number are in his brother's biography.

Private Thomas Boyd Carroll disembarked 17 February 1915 with the 9th Battalion South Lancashire Fusiliers (2998). He was awarded the 1914-15 star as well as the war & victory medals. He was discharged on the 15 April 1918 as 31572, 2nd Garrison Battalion Cheshire Regiment.

The Western Front Association have his pension card: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=1019534&tid=&pid=&queryId=7ea8c29b25ec2be0c2afce33f366bf14&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE5431&_phstart=successSource

He was given a silver war badge, so he must have been discharged due to wounds or ill-health. Medal Index card (free) off Ancestry:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 13.41.40.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2020 at 13:44, Ivor Anderson said:

Private Thomas Boyd Carroll disembarked 17 February 1915 with the 9th Battalion South Lancashire Fusiliers (2998). He was awarded the 1914-15 star as well as the war & victory medals. He was discharged on the 15 April 1918 as 31572, 2nd Garrison Battalion Cheshire Regiment.

The Western Front Association have his pension card: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=1019534&tid=&pid=&queryId=7ea8c29b25ec2be0c2afce33f366bf14&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE5431&_phstart=successSource

He was given a silver war badge, so he must have been discharged due to wounds or ill-health. Medal Index card (free) off Ancestry:

Thanks one again @Ivor Anderson.

Sorry for the delay in replying - the email notification had been dumped in a SPAM folder on the ISP server.

Will pursue further.

I vaguely remember my nan saying Great Uncle Tom was gassed like my grandad and had purple scars on his hands.