Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U boats

Theo

I'm not sure if this is the right location for this but it seemed appropriate. If anyone is looking for what happened to a particular boat, please get in touch as I have a book which gives information as to the fate of the German Navy boats, including some first hand accounts.

Theo

Theo

I'd be interested if you have any info on the ramming and sinking of UC75 by HMS Fairy on 31 May 1918. The Fairy subsequently sank and I can't find much info at the PRO or in the Official Histories. I know that a matelot from my village was on the Fairy and would desperately like to know more detail of the events.

Michael

Michael

Some background information. HMS Fairey was built in 1897, 335 tons. She was armed with one 12 pounder forward, five 6 pounders and two 18 inch torpedoe tubes. Her official complement was 60. She sank sometime after ramming UC75, a coastal minelayer which was attacking a convoy in the North Sea at 535N0009E.

The UC 75 was laid down at the Vulcan shipyard on 12 January 1916 and was commissioned on 6 December the same year. Up to her sinking she had sunk 56 ships totalling 89, 073 tons. Her captain at the time she was rammed was Walter Schmitz.

Terry Reeves

Thank you Terry. A wealth of info as usual.

Do you know if everyone got off the Fairy before she sank? I'm interested in this little episode because a Warrant Officer Gunner on our absent voters list is listed as being on the Fairy but she was sunk before the list was compiled. He certainly survived the war because his name pops up in various places afterwards

I haven't worked out Naval Warrant Officer service records yet but next time up the PRO I'll have a look at it.

Michael