Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Great War Documentaries

Derek Black

On 18/03/2021 at 13:52, Jervis said:

A Great interview - I’d just thought I d mention, Campbell while a Dubliner he actually served with the Black Watch. 

Hmm, are you certain?

He's referred to as a Dublin Fusilier in sources i can find online and there's no John/James Campbell's in the 1914 star roll that he could be to my eye.

cheers,
Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

3 hours ago, Derek Black said:

Hmm, are you certain?

He's referred to as a Dublin Fusilier in sources i can find online and there's no John/James Campbell's in the 1914 star roll that he could be to my eye.

cheers,
Derek.

Well I wouldn’t bet my life on it. 😁

I could not find a MIC or pension record for him either. 

I can’t recall how I know re: Black Watch, but I remember being surprised he was not a Dublin Fusilier. I found this image on a RTE News piece. See image

Googling him returns a lot of references to him serving with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the 16th Irish Division. While this is possible, Jack was an ‘old contemptible’ and was talking in the interview of winter 1914. The 16th Irish Div only arrive on the Western front in Dec 1915. So even if he did serve with the 16th Div he had to serve with someone else beforehand. The 2/RDF were the only RDF unit on Western front in 1914, so possible he served with them. But I would assume the RTE people got it right with the Black Watch. It was their documentary & interview with Jack. 

Jervis

14BF7604-F6B4-4ADE-AA6F-2C28665D4CFB.png

Jarvis,

a little mystery for me to look in to. 

Cheers,

Derek. 

1 hour ago, Derek Black said:

Jarvis,

a little mystery for me to look in to. 

Cheers,

Derek. 

Great. If you find something, I’d appreciate it if you can let me know.
I am almost certain this is him on the 1911 census

On 19/03/2021 at 19:27, Jervis said:

Great. If you find something, I’d appreciate it if you can let me know.
I am almost certain this is him on the 1911 census

Thanks Jarvis,

Having done some digging, I'm able to rule out all John Campbell's of the 1st and 2nd Black Watch who qualified for the 1914 star, I can only surmise the programme makers erred.
The wording "Blackwatch Highlanders" is a bit of a mess. Black Watch has never been one word, or has it ever had Highlanders right after it.
So possibly he served in another Highland regiment and the person making up the shows titles got somewhat confused?

His brothers were:

9741 Francis "Frank" Campbell, R.D.F. KIA 28/02/1917 (His mother Elizabeth was still living at 12 Eugene Street, per CWGC & Pension records)
50335 Patrick Campbell R.E. KIA 10/11/1915 (Pension records give wife Mary and son Edward living in Dublin)

Plus I think I'd likely have heard of him before, if he was a Black Watch man of 1914 vintage and been so well recorded in interviews, but that's just a feeling.

Cheers,

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

5 hours ago, Derek Black said:

Thanks Jarvis,

Having done some digging, I've able to rule out all John Campbell's of the 1st and 2nd Black Watch who qualified for the 1914 star, I can only surmise the programme makers erred.
The wording "Blackwatch Highlanders" is a bit of a mess. Black Watch has never been one word, or has it ever had Highlanders right after it.
So possibly he served in another Highland regiment and the person making up the shows titles got somewhat confused?

His brothers were:

9741 Francis "Frank" Campbell, R.D.F. KIA 28/02/1917 (His mother Elizabeth was still living at 12 Eugene Street, per CWGC & Pension records)
50335 Patrick Campbell R.E. KIA 10/11/1915 (Pension records give wife Mary and son Edward living in Dublin)

Plus I think I'd likely have heard of him before, if he was a Black Watch man of 1914 vintage and been so well recorded in interviews, but that's just a feeling.

Cheers,

Derek.

Interesting. I had tried myself and failed to link him to the Black Watch. 

On 26/03/2021 at 13:31, Derek Black said:

Thanks Jarvis,

Having done some digging, I'm able to rule out all John Campbell's of the 1st and 2nd Black Watch who qualified for the 1914 star, I can only surmise the programme makers erred.

His brothers were:

Cheers,

Derek.

Derek, 

I searched newspaper archive and found the answer. Jack Campbell was with the RAMC and was attached to the Black Watch during Mons. See images from Irish Independent in July 1988. 

I don’t have a sub to read pension records but would be grateful if anyone could identify his service number. 

Jervis

9E0466AD-0ADB-46CA-9BB9-343224DA0B7D.jpeg

08DEC51A-AA79-448D-B144-7E93225AB6A0.jpeg

6283A0D1-62C4-46BF-9F69-6ED21A5F6CDD.jpeg

Edited by Jervis

Jarvis,

Good find. That explains the mystery then.
I'm not sure how you'd go about identifying him from the many other John/Jack Campbells of the RAMC though.