Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Great War Documentaries

Derek Black

Has anyone compiled a list of great war documentaries primarily featuring interviews with participants?
I'm sure there's plenty that have passed me by or not been aired in a long time that could be tracked down.

The only ones i can recall seeing are:

The Great War, 1964

it's sequel of sorts, I Was There: the Great War Interviews, 2014

The Last Tommy, 2005
The Last voices of the great war, 2008

Cheers,

Derek.

The  best for me  is "A Game of Ghosts" , an Everyman documentary  which IMDB says was first aired on 1st July 1991-  No prizes for guessing why.   It is currently available on You Tube.

The thing that has always struck me with the documentaries featuring interviews is how articulate  and balanced are the interviewees- which makes one realise even more how tragic the waste of lives was. In a"black and white" media  war- the documentary stock of the time , the soldiers are silent- it is the old men and the survivors that speak for them . Oh that we could wish, say, a  5 minute recorded interview with this man, for example

image.png.e6ab53f65ec5de34f27ce7c13928eea8.png

Just to mention it, the BBC does have a stock of radio interviews as well  -  One that was aired many years ago was from the 1930s (1934?) and  had Admiral Sir William Goodenough. My memory is that the Beeb had a rather genteel number of "I Was There" type interviews from that time.

I have dozens,to many to list(honest)from oz, one from Belgium where an old lady speaks of smelling gas while living in pop

Just now, BIFFO said:

I have dozens,to many to list(honest)from oz, one from Belgium where an old lady speaks of smelling gas while living in pop

Come on Biffo, tell us what they are!!!  Can't wait till you get knocked down by a bus and they all turn up at a bootfair :P

The  best for me  is "A Game of Ghosts" 

Thanks for posting;  one I’d not seen previously. 

Thanks for the pointers chaps.

Game of Ghosts is a new one for me, thanks GUEST. Watching it now.
(1991 was two years loser to the end of the great war than we are today from the end of the second war.....time flies eh.)

Derek

"Lions Led by Donkeys" - The battle of the Somme, 1985

(A bit of a scratchy VHS copy)

Robert Burns, year unknown and incomplete with Dutch subtitles.

Come on Biffo, tell us what they are!!!  Can't wait till you get knocked down by a bus and they all turn up at a bootfair :P

i  tell you what laddy,go look at my profile, send to  my e mail, for your cheek I will send you pages,the one that got away from me?,thr erlsh rugby team were taken to Mametz wood and shown the stupidity of war.I have asked on here but no show

Just a jest, Biffo.     Is the one you want perhaps this one?   Just a thought. Looks a good documentary.  

6 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

thr erlsh rugby team were taken to Mametz wood and shown the stupidity of war

On the other hand, the  Welsh  Rugby team could have been taken to the Millennium Stadium and  shown the stupidity of Rugby....  :wub:

BBC iPlayer -Wales at the Somme: Gareth Thomas and the Battle of Mametz Wood - BBC Documen

14 Sep 2017

now laddy there is always one AND you are both of them:P

Now GUEST thats not the doco I was on about, its close it is Gareth and it is Mamatz,the one im on about was the whole Welsh rugby team taken to Mametz to see where the carnage happened, esp from British Artillery,not wot like happened on the field of dreams :whistle:

May I draw attention to the British Film Institute and it's National Archive?- has quite a bit of stuff that can be viewed for free  It's a bit awkward to use but there are some goodies there. Also,it has a lot of other stuff that is not free but would take too long to explain-even if I understood anyway.

Below- a scene from a 1 minute documentary stock of Trinidadians  being inspected by the Lord Mayor at Guildhall in 1916,with acknowledgements to British Film Institute-for fair use and education only

image.png.a0ce3a9df1a44bf73bd691998a6021b5.png

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Peace in No Man's Land - The Christmas Truce (1981)

The three men interviewed were still just nippers at 84, 84 and 88 when this was made.

• 3 months later...

Jack Campbell of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, being interviewed by the late Gay Byrne in 1988

Ireland & The Great War (1998) narrated by Myles Dungan.

this week on smithsonian the best non veteran ww1 doco I have seen Peter Barton both sides of the wire in 3 episodes

Looking forward to that,

Thank you for the heads up

Gerry 

10 hours ago, Derek Black said:

Jack Campbell of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, being interviewed by the late Gay Byrne in 1988

A Great interview - I’d just thought I d mention, Campbell while a Dubliner he actually served with the Black Watch. 

2 hours ago, BIFFO said:

this week on smithsonian the best non veteran ww1 doco I have seen Peter Barton both sides of the wire in 3 episodes

I agree with you Biffo. I thought Barton’s documentary was brilliant, although there are many on this forum who disagree with Barton’s assessments. 

ah many on GWF disagree with lots

me  I cannot see a problem with Dan Snow for instance now his grandfather should be lined up against the wal with the other bloke??

anyway the doco is on PBS America