The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion KOYLI in Salonik

Sgt Stripes

Hi. Looking for information on the 1st KOYLI in Salonika especially there part in the capture of Ferdie and Essex trench and the capture of Barakli and Kumli.  I know they landed in Salonika 7th December 1915 and went to France summer of 1918.  Thank you 

Yes Please Gardenerbill. The Battalion do not seem to get any mentions in my books and i had to look them up on the internet to make sure they were there.  

Hi Sarge,

At first I couldn't find the 1st KOYLI in the OH indexes, then I found them listed under 'Yorkshire L.I. , Kings Own'. 

Vol 1 P194 31st October 1916 at Bairakli Jum'A the 1st KOYLI advanced on the right flank with the objective of clearing the Gypsy village or encampment. where they dove out a number of Bulgarians.

Vol 1 P299 9th March 1917 as part of a series of operations in the Struma Valley, detachments of 1st KOYLI and 2nd E Yorks carried out a raid on Poroi Station. The station was taken by assault, 4 Bulgarians killed 24 captured and the station was occupied for 20 hours.

More to follow. 

Vol II P9 Maj Brooke 1st KOYLI organises fox and hare hunting with a few Beagles and Harriers.

Vol II P84 Operations Struma Valley Spring 1917. 15th April 1917 83rd Brigade tasked with cutting off any Bulgarian forces in Dolap Wood south of Bairakli, no enemy envountered but the Gypsy village found to be heavily defended.

Vol II P94 1st KOYLI withdrawn from 28th Division in preparation for move to France.

The actions to take Ferdie and Essex trenches to the north of Bairakli 15th May 1917 were carried out by 2nd Buffs and 3rd Royal Fusiliers of 85th Brigade, no mention of 83rd Bde or 1/KOYLI.

Edited by Gardenerbill

Fantastic information. Many thanks for taking the time to look for me. Only had information from the internet concerning Ferdie and Essex Trenches. Looks like it was wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry to go off topic on my first post. I am trying to get in touch with the author of the post Sgt Stripes in relation to a post of his from 2017 regarding a Private D Jones of the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

I tried to message through this site you but there seems to be a problem.

Can you get in touch please. We was my Great Uncle.

Edited by Stephen Mark Jones

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum, you need to make a few posts (can't remember how many) before you can send a PM. I would advise you to edit your post and remove your email address. @Sgt Stripes is fairly active so should be along soon.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Stephen Mark Jones said:

Hi there, sorry to go off topic on my first post. I am trying to get in touch with the author of the post Sgt Stripes in relation to a post of his from 2017 regarding a Private D Jones of the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

I tried to message through this site you but there seems to be a problem.

Can you get in touch please. We was my Great Uncle.

Stephen

Thank you for editing your post

You just need to make two posts to use the PM system, reply to this and you’re done.