Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick James Desmond, I/1st London Regiment (Royal Fusilliers), 167th Brigade, 56th London Division, 4737

DDP1955

Apologies if I have put this post in the wrong place

My great uncle, Frederick James Desmond continues to be one of the lost.  He was with the 1st Battalion, City of London Royal Fusilliers, 4737.  He died on the 8th Oct 1916 attacking Spectrum Trench, his body has never been recovered due to the weather conditions in the evening of the attack on the trench (to my knowledge).  I am trying to find out where his body could have fallen.  I know nothing about Spectrum Trench, size location etc...  Could anybody tell me anything about Spectrum Trench?

Thank you

Edited by DDP1955
correcting information on regiment and trench

Being as he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial he was killed on the Somme, however, there is no mention of a Summit Trench in Rats Alley.  British Battalions on the Somme as the 1st Battalion RF being transferred to the Vimy Ridge sector on 20/9/1916, and the book 148 Days on the Somme does not mention Summit Trench.

Where did you get the information about Summit Trench from?

John

For clarity, your Great Uncle was serving with the 1/1st London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) and not the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers, so you'll need to direct your research towards the activities of the 167th Brigade of the 56th (London) Division for that particular period. A quick internet search shows that on the 7th October 1916 the 1/1st Londons were involved in an attack on an objective called Spectrum trench. They had limited success and were forced back after dark which might help to explain why Frederick Desmond's body wasn't able to be recovered. 

I'm sure people with greater knowledge of the 56th Division and the geography of this particular battleground will soon be along to assist you further. 

• Admin

Spectrum trench is sheet 57cSW2 Villers au Flos map reference N34 b 

• 5 months later...

I know this is a long shot, but I am am also looking for Jeremiah Desmond, and have been for a few years now, I would be very grateful for any help!

All I have got is a birth certificate stating that he was born on 20th Nov 1892 at 86 Nelson Street, Mile End Old Town.  No regiment and no number.  I haven't even found a medal Index Card.  If you look at the little photograph on the left of this text box, Jeramiah is the one on the left.

Thanks in advance

• DDP1955 changed the title to Frederick James Desmond, I/1st London Regiment (Royal Fusilliers), 167th Brigade, 56th London Division, 4737

Is Jeremiah the older brother of Frederick James? Were their parents John Desmond & Annie Elizabeth Mundy (m.1889)?

If so, he seems to have been known as Michael Jeremiah Desmond (rather than Jeremiah Michael) from 1911 (his father died 1908 aged 45?):

1901: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=7814&h=9362493&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7579

1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=2352&h=52387180&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=61596

1922 Married Elizabeth E Miller? https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=8753&h=60419269&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7814

1939: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/15050991:61596

Death 1973: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=7579&h=44625280&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=61596

Do you have an enlarged version of the photo? - he will have a cap badge on his hat.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Apart from 2 serving with the S Wales Borderers & the Royal Highlanders (+ several with Irish Regiments) this one seems a possibility? (Ancestry images):

Edit. - EUREKA - I think it is! see medal roll attached - Michael Jeremiah Desmond! 

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 16.58.20.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 17.05.03.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ivor

Thank you so much for this research you have done on my behalf :)

I have seen Michael Jeremiah Desmond's medal index card but knew nothing about this part of my family, so none of this really helped me.  I have not seen the roll of regiment or corps before today, so thank you for posting it!

I have a photograph of Michael Jeremiah Desmond along with his two brothers, taken on the day that Freddie Desmond (his brother) joined his regiment 1st City of London (Royal Fusiliers).  I will post the photograph, but am in the process of moving house at the moment.

Thank you :)