Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

birkenhead war memorial research

kenmorrison

As far as I can see there is a "locked" thread about research of the names on the Birkenhead War Memorial - is this research still on-going?

I have a man named on the SELKIRK Roll of Honour in the Scottish Borders as 

BROOMFIELD, JOHN P. PRIVATE, GLOUCESTERS, 1914-16.

and although this name is not on the Birkenhead WM, a transcript indicates that the name 

BROADFIELD, J. was added to the end of the first column of names.

Could it be the same man????

My man is 

John Paterson Broomfield – age 19 – Private (5916) 2/6th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.

In 1911 John was living with his family in Birkenhead, Cheshire where his father was a railway locomotive engine fitter. He enlisted as Private (2960) in the 4th Cheshire Regiment but was posted to the 2/6th Gloucesters who landed at Le Havre in May 1916. John was killed two months later. (Source: 1911 census, SDGW and Medal Roll/Card)

Born 1897 in Selkirk. Son of William and Agnes (Paterson) Broomfield of 36 Mallaby Street and of 29 Shamrock Road, Birkenhead who had married in 1895 in Selkirk. (

Source: Liverpool Echo 19/7/1917 p.4 and CWGC)

Missing in Action – 19 July 1916.

Commonwealth War Grave – Loos Memorial, France.

Ken

Thanks for that IPT - sorry for the delay in replying but I was hoping that one of the researchers might have "popped-up" and could clarify my (and your) question.

Cheers

Ken

As you have probably seen, the only J Broadfield on the CWCG roll came from Birmingham. I suspect that the two Broomfield entries are the same man. This would not be unusual. One RN officer I have researched is remembered on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, on a marble tablet on the wall of his (inland) Hampshire parish church, and his grandmother having moved to a West Sussex town in the 1890s, his name is also remembered in its church and on its War Memorial. 

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

St Anne's, (now Christ the King), where 'Joseph Broadfield' is remembered, is about a ten minute walk from 27 Carrington Avenue, where John Broomfield was living in 1911, and 36 Mallaby Street is about the same.

Why Joseph Broadfield/John Broomfield though?

Edited by IPT